Need Help with Freezing Computer

bhk7594

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
My Specs:
OCZ OCZ2N800SR4GK 4gb (2 Stick) SLI ready RAM
Apevia X-Jupiter Jr. Case
(Quad-Core)Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit
EVGA 750 SLI NVIDIA 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
635 Watts Power Supplies Sigma Shark SP-635W PSU
9800 gtx

Alright so I have had problems with freezing since I purchased my computer in 2008. The computer would freeze mid game but only during gameplay and usually about 10-20 min in. This was when I had 2 9400 gt in SLI. Then I called the company that built my computer and they sent me a new motherboard. I replaced the motherboard but after that I got a ps3 and stopped gaming on my PC.

Recently I got myself a 9800 gtx and upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. Now during gameplay the computer will freeze. By freeze I mean I need to hardboot to get the computer to run again. The mouse and keyboard wont work and the game will freeze on the fame its at.

Now I have tried a bunch of things:
- First things pointed to heat issues because my computer runs a little hot (60 c on GPU in game and 50 c on cpu in game) I cleaned out the case and all of the dust and got the temp to drop about 2 c This did not fix the problem
- Second I tested the GPU thinking it was a faulty card using 3d mark. Came back fine so that knocks out the GPU
- Third I tested the RAM first with testing program then by popping one stick out playing until it froze and then trying the other. The computer froze with either one in knocking out the ram.
- I had to replace the motherboard so that knocks out the motherboard

Recently a new problem has arose. When the computer is in sleep mode for an extended period of time I will have to hardboot to get the computer to work. Sometimes it resumes windows and sometimes i need to hardboot twice to get the option to delete the resortation data. I am not sure if these two problems are related.

Any help would be great

You can't call trying each stick of RAM by itself "testing" the memory. Your RAM is rated to run at 800MHz with 5-4-4-15 timings at 2.1v. The RAM warranty also covers up to 2.2v. Have you manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated values in the BIOS? Have you performed an overnight run of Memtest86+? If you can't answer ALL of these questions with a "yes", you have NOT fully tested your RAM or eliminated it as the cause of your problems. Freezing problems are usually RAM related.

Yes, freezing problems are rarely CPU related unless the CPU is overheating. That doesn't sound like the case here since 50C is not an overly high load temp.

The problem could also be your low quality power supply. A low quality PSU and its related unstable voltages can cause all sorts of stability issues.

bhk7594

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
With stability issues wouldnt the computer freeze in places other then 20 min into gameplay?
If the RAM tests come up fine tonight what should the next step be?
Also what should have I updated the drivers for?

There isn't a good way for a home user to test a PSU. The only way is to replace it with a quality unit from a known quality manufacturer like Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, etc...

The things to look for in a quality unit are active PFC (no little red voltage switch on the back of the PSU), at least 80 Plus certification, and more output on the 12v rail(s) than on the 5v and 3.3v rails.

I had actually already looked up the specs on your PSU earlier. It's not a quality unit. You're right, it doesn't have active PFC. It's also not 80+ certified and an old design since it puts out 30A on the 3.3v rail, 38A on the 5v rail, and only 20A on each 12v rail. It may or may not be causing your issues, but a low-quality unit certainly doesn't contribute to a stable system.

bhk7594

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Right that makes sense but if it was my PSU when the computer froze would it match up with PSU failure if the case fans and usb stuff is still powered like the lights are on but the computer itself is frozen? Also would this match up with the computer not being able to come out of sleep mode without a hardboot?

bhk7594

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Ok tonight I will run the RAM test overnight and see what comes up then if that comes up clean I will go and grab a PSU and test that. If both of those dont work what do you think it could be from there?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I was thinking PSU once I read that config.

Some companies astound me. 9400GT SLI? Crap-O-PSU doesn't surprise me though. :)

If it isn't ram/psu and your sure it isn't software or non-vital components (CDrom/pci/usb) then i'd look towards the mobo.

bhk7594

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Ok I will check back tomorrow with the RAM information and then on Wed a friend is coming over with his WORKING PSU and we will see if that clears up issues. Thanks for your help (9400 gt SLI was me being very uneducated when it comes to picking out computer parts two years ago :) )