Gaming/Processing Rig | Any Suggestions?

So I finally took the plunge into building a new system after becoming tired of limited store-boughts. I mainly will be using this rig for gaming, 3ds Max w/ Vray, adobe after effects/Photoshop, video encoding, and want to overclock all that I can.

Here are my proposed specs:

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM

APEX Amoris 6010 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7Q-8GBRM - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller - Retail

PNY VCGGTX260CXPB GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (Previous Purchase)

Rocketfish 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply (Previous Purchase)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail (Previous Purchase)

Any recomandations, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-AutieP03
26 answers Last reply
More about gaming processing suggestions
  1. autiep03 said:
    So I finally took the plunge into building a new system after becoming tired of limited store-boughts. I mainly will be using this rig for gaming, 3ds Max w/ Vray, adobe after effects/Photoshop, video encoding, and want to overclock all that I can.

Here are my proposed specs:

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM

APEX Amoris 6010 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7Q-8GBRM - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller - Retail

PNY VCGGTX260CXPB GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (Previous Purchase)

Rocketfish 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply (Previous Purchase)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail (Previous Purchase)

Any recomandations, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-AutieP03

have no idea about the psu, but dump the mb, it is a nvidia based chipset which are crap.
    the 965 is a factory 955 oced, seems that you will oc it, then get the 955 and save some money.
    unless you are a nvidia gpu fanboy, I recommand getting a ati 5770 as they cost less then the 260 and afaik are better
  2. haven't seen that the gpu and cpu are already yours, just get a non nvidia based chipset mb.
  3. I would like to sli in the future though, can i do that without an nvidia chipset?
  4. autiep03 said:
    I would like to sli in the future though, can i do that without an nvidia chipset?

probably not, still it's your choice...
    you can do xfire but only with ati gp currently afaik
  5. Get a Seagate 7200.12 HDD instead of the western digital. You get better performance out of the seagate.

Also for a cooler might want to look at the Hyper 212 for 30 bucks it really cant be beat when price to performance is a factor.

Lastly I would look at the Antec 300 Illusion as a case options.

I also agree if you are going to go AMD then you should stick to the 955.

BTW did I miss the budget here? By the description of what you want to use the rig for might want to look at a i7-860 maybe.
  6. osu43130 said:
    Get a Seagate 7200.12 HDD instead of the western digital. You get better performance out of the seagate.

Also for a cooler might want to look at the Hyper 212 for 30 bucks it really cant be beat when price to performance is a factor.

Lastly I would look at the Antec 300 Illusion as a case options.

I also agree if you are going to go AMD then you should stick to the 955.

BTW did I miss the budget here? By the description of what you want to use the rig for might want to look at a i7-860 maybe.

he already bought the cpu
  7. Sorry missed that. Strike my remark about the CPU then Sorry.
  8. osu43130 said:
    Sorry missed that.

you and me both :pt1cable:
  9. i want to second the recommendation of a 5770 over that 260. it performs well, supports directx 11, uses way less power, and when you want to add another one down the road, finding a 5770 is going to be a lot easier than finding a 260, as they are being phased out completely.
  10. if i could go back in time i would, but i already bought a 260 awhile ago. Im on a $700 budget, i already have some items purchased though. I would love an i7 but the price for the chips and mobo are much more pricey and they dont support sli. If any one can find a solution that would be great! I can still return the processor if i must, but i must keep the 260 and psu.

Thanks for all your help!
  11. autiep03 said:
    if i could go back in time i would, but i already bought a 260 awhile ago. Im on a $700 budget, i already have some items purchased though. I would love an i7 but the price for the chips and mobo are much more pricey and they dont support sli. If any one can find a solution that would be great! I can still return the processor if i must, but i must keep the 260 and psu.

ahh sorry, i guess i didn't read your post very well!
  12. autiep03 said:
    if i could go back in time i would, but i already bought a 260 awhile ago. Im on a $700 budget, i already have some items purchased though. I would love an i7 but the price for the chips and mobo are much more pricey and they dont support sli. If any one can find a solution that would be great! I can still return the processor if i must, but i must keep the 260 and psu.

does returning the processor add to the funds? So about 860 w/o PSU and GPU?

Just trying to give you a different look at things not saying you have to return anything.
  13. if i returned the processor (i cant return anything else, only the processor) it would add $190. intels are pricey but i may be able to stretch if there is a big performance boost. so about 890 id say, do not want to go into the 900s.
  14. What about this assuming you take back the 965?

Sata DVD drive $19.99

Antec 300 illusion $61.99 (49.99 after MIR)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB $79.99 (If you wanted a 500GB one I think they are mid 50 price range stuck with 750 because that is what you had listed above)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $115 (not sure why you wanted 8gb of ram)

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $29.99 and is a top 10 cooler

i7-860 and ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 $427

Total price including shipping is $753ish from Newegg plus there is a 12 MIR

Just giving you another option.

Not saying the 965 is a bad chip I have a 955 and love it but do not hardly ever use photo shop or do any rendering.
  15. i like that setup, after effects and 3ds max uses alot of ram, i might settle for 6gb. What about a 920 bloomfield? which one will overclock better? the lynnfield is only 95w vs the 130w bloomfield.
  16. Not sure you can get the 920 in your price range. The jump to the 920/mobo/ram might be a little steep.

Might want to pocket that money and look at a new GPU down the road maybe you can sell the 260.

*Edit As far as overclocking goes better wait for someone besides me to answer that one.
  17. autiep03 said:
    i like that setup, after effects and 3ds max uses alot of ram, i might settle for 6gb.

you can't 1156 socket is dual channel, not triple.
    my suggestion, return the 965, sell the 260, stay with the same memory, get the 955, this mb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128398 (35$ less with discount and rebates), this gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102868 and oc the thing.
  18. No the Hyper 212 fan does not cover any of the ram slots in my case
  19. Nevermind, Crap post. Ignore this.
  20. What do you mean by "you can't 1156 socket is dual channel, not triple."? I believe that intel is much more advanced when it comes to processors. They overclock beautifully and you cant argue with 8 core hyperthreding. What do you all think about all of the same specs but substitute this combo?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.324969

Thanks again for all your posts! I appreciate your time.
  21. autiep03 said:
    What do you mean by "you can't 1156 socket is dual channel, not triple."?

afaik, no memory manufactures offers sticks of 3 gb.

the 1336 socket has the ability use 3 buses of memory in the same time, the am# and 1156 can use only two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture

autiep03 said:

I believe that intel is much more advanced when it comes to processors. They overclock beautifully and you cant argue with 8 core hyperthreding.

intel has superior architecture, but recent amd cpus oc beautifully too, that isn't the case.
    intel is selling low level threading. want a quad, get a quad, not a dual that pretends to be one.
    autiep03 said:
    What do you all think about all of the same specs but substitute this combo?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.324969

Thanks again for all your posts! I appreciate your time.

now that is a build I like.
    if you can, go for it, the i7 are beasts.
  22. Thanks so much for all the great info, I found it very helpful. I want to go with the lynnfield setup. And i meant four cores emulating eight via hyperthreading not th duos emulating four. Now I just need to figure out how to return my processor to newegg for store credit, any ideas? Does crying over the phone help? :)
  23. autiep03 said:
    Thanks so much for all the great info, I found it very helpful. I want to go with the lynnfield setup. And i meant four cores emulating eight via hyperthreading not th duos emulating four. Now I just need to figure out how to return my processor to newegg for store credit, any ideas? Does crying over the phone help? :)

not sure, but you have a good, build using the i5, enjoy it.
  24. By lynnfield I nean i7 920
  25. i5-750/i7-860 is lynfield

i7-920 is bloomfield. Make sure you get the right parts because they use completely different Mobos.
  26. i should of just called it by the real name...
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product