Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Built in speaker for posting beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
September 20, 2010 6:38:14 PM

Does anyone know whether this motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H, contains a built-in piezoelectric speaker or do I have to purchase a case speaker to plug into the f_panel speaker header on the motherboard? I've downloaded the MB manual from GB but can't find any reference to a built-in speaker.

Hate to spend $1.00 for the speaker and $6-$10 for shipping if I don't have to. I unfortunately do not have access to any kind of computer supply/electronic/hobby shop where I live.

TIA for responses.
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 7:09:26 PM

I never heard of motherboard containing speakers, and it would plug into the PC connector pins by the power/reset/HDD LED pins not f_panel
m
l
September 20, 2010 7:35:52 PM

Snipergod87 said:
I never heard of motherboard containing speakers

and it would plug into the PC connector pins by the power/reset/HDD LED pins [b said:
not f_panel]and it would plug into the PC connector pins by the power/reset/HDD LED pins not f_panel
[/b]
This is from the manual for the MB mentioned in my OP and IT IS called f_panel.

Thanks for your reply but you obviously don't know in regards to the answer for the specific MB listed in my OP.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2010 5:14:53 PM

Hi there,

You should have a PC motherboard system speaker if you are building a computer.

You can leave it on the I/O speaker header connection, or after everying is working fine and you get just the single "OK" beep, and the computer boots up to the desktop, you can put it back in your took kit.

You can buy them on ebay for $4.00 with 1.5" of red/black wire so they don't strain the I/O connector. (computer motherboard system speaker)

The best one I've ever "made" was to take the 1" speaker from one of the "hallmark talking cards", and connect it to the correct 4 span black connector and wire free from a local computer store. It is much louder for testing and the maganet holds it on the PSU case.
m
l
September 21, 2010 7:50:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. Your DIY solution sounds great but I'm electronically challenged! :pt1cable:  I've actually found them at the link below for about a buck and the shippping/mailing charge is reasonable; only $2.40 versus $6 - $10 at other vendors. Just in case they're junk I ordered 2!
Bestbyte

I was just hoping there might have been a piezoelectric buzzer on the Gigabyte board I've listed like the screen shot of the board it's replacing as that would have saved a little time (shipping) and money. Agree with you though, wouldn't build a system without one.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2010 9:10:11 PM

highcountryrider said:
Thanks for the reply. Your DIY solution sounds great but I'm electronically challenged! :pt1cable:  I've actually found them at the link below for about a buck and the shippping/mailing charge is reasonable; only $2.40 versus $6 - $10 at other vendors. Just in case they're junk I ordered 2!
Bestbyte

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/hicountryrider/screenshots/CACP01SP1.jpg

I was just hoping there might have been a piezoelectric buzzer on the Gigabyte board I've listed like the screen shot of the board it's replacing as that would have saved a little time (shipping) and money. Agree with you though, wouldn't build a system without one.

Hi again,

I've purchased several items from BestByte in Texas, and they have always been very good. Small company but lots of unusual parts.
The only thing to know about the pizzoelectric buzzers, is they are not as loud as speakers, so you might not hear the beep code if a fan speeds up at that fraction of a second, if you are not listening closely, or if the case is closed.

They are great to use for testing with the left side of the case open, with a good ear. I leave mine connected, but once you have everything working, and you get the "single OK beep", you really don't need to hear it.
September 28, 2010 1:24:15 AM

Best answer selected by highcountryrider.
m
l
!