Sign in with
Your question

SSD for Intel SRT use with i5 2500k build

Last response: in Storage
February 17, 2012 2:18:24 AM

I asked this earlier but I think this is a more appropriate section I am planning to build the system below and would like to use SRT with Raid 0 for faster data access (or so I'm told). Is this a good choice Patriot 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). Gigabyte also makes this mobo with a SSD already. Is this a better route for the $$ GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month
Budget Range: I’ll pay for quality but don’t need top of the line
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video encoding, occasional game play

Parts Not Required:
1X Computer case
2X HD's for RAID 0 Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA II
1X GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCI Express x16 SLI Video Card
1X PCI IDE (ATA) Silicon Image Host Controller Card for backup to a 750 gig IDE harddrive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newwegg.com
Parts Preferences: Brands that have good customer service in case something goes south
Overclocking: Yes , but I’m a novice at this.
SLI or Crossfire: Unlikely, should I?
Monitor Resolution: Old monitor 1280x1024

Parts I plan to buy:
1X COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Is this too much cooler for a mild overclock 4.5-5.0?
1X Antec BP550 Plus 550W power supply
1X Interl 2500K
1X GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA mobo
8GB (2 x 4GB) CORSAIR Vengeance 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Windows 7 64bit

Feel free to make recommendations
a c 283 G Storage
February 17, 2012 2:28:14 AM

You can only use an ssd as a cache for one hard disk drive. You cannot use an ssd as a cache for two hard disk drives in a RAID0 array.

You would be better off purchasing the largest capacity ssd you can afford. Install Microsoft Windows 7, software applications, and your favorite games on the ssd. Use the two hard disk drives to store data files, photos, video clips, movies, music, and other stuff.

It's been a while since someone has asked about Intel Smart Response technology. It is an old technology from a few years ago. Here is my standard answer about using an ssd as a cache:

Intel's SRT caching technology was designed for buyers who could not justify or afford the cost of a larger capacity solid-state drive. According to Intel, the original idea was that for about $100.00 a user could purchase a small capacity ssd of about 10 to 20GB and use it as a cache to improve hard disk drive performance. The Operating system and programs were actually stored on a hard disk drive. The actual improvement could not compare to a stand alone ssd. Intel also looked at different capacities all the way up to 512GB and concluded 64GB was the point of diminishing return. It made more sense to use a 64GB ssd as a boot drive that also contained software programs. Intel was hoping that if business clients saw an increase in performance, then they would be induced to purchase larger capacity ssd's that promised an even greater boost in performance.

A lot has changed sinced then, especially prices. Might as well take full advantage of ssd performance.

Here is my standard ssd recommendation:

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link to the ssd database where you will find links to technical reviews:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Just scroll down to the brands you are interested in and follow the links to the reviews.
m
l
Related resources
a c 523 G Storage
February 17, 2012 2:51:18 AM

I believe originally you could only use SRT with 1 HDD. Now you can use it with multiple HDDs in RAID.

[b said:
System Requirements:
For a system to support Intel Smart Response Technology it must have the following:
 Intel® Z68 Express Chipset-based desktop board
 Intel® Core™ Processor in the LGA 1155 package
 System BIOS with SATA mode set to RAID
 Intel Rapid Storage Technology software 10.5 version release or later
Single Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or multiple HDD’s in a single RAID volume
 Solid State Drive (SSD) with a minimum capacity of 18.6GB
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows* Vista 32-bit Edition and 64-bit Edition, Microsoft Windows*
7 32-bit Edition and 64-bit]System Requirements:
For a system to support Intel Smart Response Technology it must have the following:
 Intel® Z68 Express Chipset-based desktop board
 Intel® Core™ Processor in the LGA 1155 package
 System BIOS with SATA mode set to RAID
 Intel Rapid Storage Technology software 10.5 version release or later
Single Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or multiple HDD’s in a single RAID volume
 Solid State Drive (SSD) with a minimum capacity of 18.6GB
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows* Vista 32-bit Edition and 64-bit Edition, Microsoft Windows*
7 32-bit Edition and 64-bit
[/b]
m
l
February 17, 2012 2:52:26 AM

Where are you at in wisconsin? If your south near Chicago theres actually some great tigerdirect outlet stores where you just walk in and buy it.
m
l
February 17, 2012 2:59:35 AM

I'm in Madison. No PC stores nearby.
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:04:27 AM

True only place i could think of would be the overpriced milwaukeepc that's located there. Im from Menominee.
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:51:35 AM

Honestly for a 60gb ssd i would recommend the mushkin chronos deluxe 60gb with the high end toshiba nand flash chips which have a much higher life than other SSD's without the toshiba nand chip. Plus its faster than all the others except PCIE drives.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
February 17, 2012 4:01:48 AM

Dereck47 said:
I believe originally you could only use SRT with 1 HDD. Now you can use it with multiple HDDs in RAID.

I made a mistake. I have not kept up with the latest Intel SRT developments :( 

I read the article and the entire forum thread you referenced. Both mention inherent problems with using an ssd as a cache with multiple hard disk drives in a RAID array.

EDIT - Deleted.
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:03:53 PM

Very timely question as I was just doing research about adding an SSD for SRT for a very similar setup (same motherboard and CPU, which just arrived today, but only a single HDD). Sounds like I should save my money and just wait another couple of months until I can afford one of the 128GB versions, which should be plenty for Win 7 and 2-3 frequently-played games.

Somewhat of a sidenote, but is there a reason *not* to put games on an SSD, especially something that gets updated frequently like an MMO or Steam game? I've heard that there are some issues with frequent writes to drives impairing its performance/reliability.
m
l
February 18, 2012 12:58:08 AM

So it seems you will be limited by the slowest device, HDD or SSD so it makes sense to get the fastest SSD possible. I am now considering the Chronos 60GB but I have heard of SSD's slowing down when they are full which will likely happen because it's a cache. I noticed that the Gigabyte mobo comes with one of these Intel 311 SSD's but it is a SLC. Is an SLC a better choice than MLC for SRT? The Chronos has way faster specs.
m
l
!