Solved

Help with first Build $850

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 11, 2010 5:43:59 PM

I've been looking around a lot for a computer gaming build. But I've been struggling with so many options I dont know what to do. I have about an $850 budget, Ive been struggling with getting an i5-750, or and AMD CPU or an ATI 5770 or 5850, what motherboard to get, ram everything.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In the next month or so BUDGET RANGE: $850 after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming first and foremost, then surfing, college work.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, OS, and I actually need a keyboard,mouse, and headset but I'm trying to hit my brother up for that stuff.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States of America (CA, yay sales tax!)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg looks good but anywhere cheap and reliable.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've been liking the Intel CPU's but anything really, open to AMD too.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, most likely SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: My brother's is 1920x1080 (HDMI too i think), not exactly sure, it maybe be smaller.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like it to look nice, maybe a side window with a good amount of fans for cooling, am going to use this PC for some time (4 yrs maybe) so I would the parts to last for awhile. I'm mainly going to be playing source games but I might play some more graphic demanding games.
So if someone gave you $850 to build the best gaming rig you could, what would it be? ($850 after rebates) Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

More about : build 850

Best solution

February 11, 2010 5:57:03 PM

CPU/Mobo: X3 425 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Combo for $197
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD/PSU: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB and OCZ StealthXStream 700W Combo for $120
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $20
GPU: HD 5770 $150

Total: $797. With some tweaking, you may be able to fit the HD 5850 in there.
February 11, 2010 6:02:23 PM

I forgot to mention that I dont need an OS. Ill put that i there too. But that looks like a pretty decent build. What DVD burner is that? What about an i5-750? is that too much for I need?
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2010 6:53:09 PM

Just search Newegg with "sata dvd burner". Then sort by lowest price. Don't forget to check the cost of shipping.

Since you don't need an OS, you can fit the HD 5850 in the build.

The i5 is too expensive for your build. If you got an i5, you'd be struggling to fit a decent GPU into the build.

EDIT: Here's the burner. Here's the 5850. New total for the build is $832.
m
l
February 12, 2010 1:39:14 AM

The most important part of a gaming build is the GPU. You may get 1 or 2 FPS from the i5 (with the same GPU) over the X3. If you got the bigger GPU, you'd get more like 60+ FPS more.

All three of those would work. They're all about equal, but I would get at least the X3. Dual cores are not a good idea. The X3 is also the cheapest of all of them.
m
l
February 12, 2010 4:06:38 AM

I heard if you get the AMD X2 550 BE and that with certain Mobo's you can unlock the other cores and its like almost having a $200 CPU for the price of a $100 CPU.
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:21:49 AM

Here's the thing with unlocking cores: it's not stable. The CPUs with locked cores are chips that were not stable enough to be released as quad cores. Thus, AMD locked the extra cores to add stability. If you undo that, you could get lucky and the chip is stable, but odds are that it won't be.

In addition, most of the triple cores can be unlocked as well. So you could buy a $70 CPU and do the same thing. And it would likely be more stable, as you only have to unlock 1 core.

That said, I'm not an expert on overclocking. You might want to check out some of the posts in the Overclocking area of the forum.
m
l
February 12, 2010 7:54:36 PM

My opinion is not substantially different enough from what has been posted above to be worth posting, but you put out a post asking for second opinions so here it is.
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:01:51 PM

Thanks a ton admiral, for some stupid reason I made another thread about this, not that I dont trust you or believe you, I just wanted to get some other opinions and I did. I understand that you are trying to help and that this is probably the best build for my budget, I just really didnt want to let the i5-750 go lol But I really appreciate your time and effort for me. Thank you everyone for your help and thank you admiral for your advice.
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:08:34 PM

Its always smart to get a second opinion, especially on the internet. MadAdmiral could be an AMD sales rep for all you know. :p 
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:17:58 PM

I was wondering, will the is case be ok?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It already has two 120mm fans (front and rear), a 140mm top fan, and has room for 2 more 120mm fans which will only be another $15 or $20. I like this one because it seems to have enough airflow for the my build (4 120mm and 1 140mm) and its a little bit cheaper than the HAF 922. Unless you really recommend the HAF (it does have dual 200mm fans) then I'll be sure to pay the little extra for it.
I also found this new deal on newegg, here it is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
I like how it saves me $27 from the combo and it gives $10 rebate from the Ram, but I am concerned that the ram might not be as good and it might not be a good overclocker. Plus the 5850 is a little bit cheaper than the other 5850.
Thanks again.
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:30:59 PM

It should be alright on cooling. That said, the HAF is easily one of the best cases available (maybe THE best). Looking back, I don't really know why I recommended it, as the HAF is huge and I typically recommend it once you start putting the HD 5870 in the build.

The one you linked to should be enough.

EDIT: The 300 Illusion is also an excellent case. I tend to lean towards that for lower end builds.
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:41:34 PM

I wouldn't go with the combo because the RAM isn't great. OCZ has some issues with perfect compatibility with many boards. It's also a lot slower.

To save some money, get the cheapest HD 5850 you can find. They're all basically the same.

The Mushkin RAM won't work on the board. It's DDR2.

The only combos with the Antec case worth getting involve the PSU, and you've already got a cheaper, quality unit in the build.
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:55:15 PM

That RAM isn't as good. I would go with the Antec. The HAF is a great case, but much bigger than you need.
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:56:47 PM

That patriot RAM is CAS9, the ripjaws MadAd linked earlier are CAS7 so they will be a bit faster and overclock friendly.

You might want to take a deep breath and relax a second, then ponder this: You are going to be looking at this computer case for at least a few years. Isnt it worth a $20 difference to have the one you like the looks of the most? Pretty much any case with a good fan setup will work fine, you have to be the one that determines the esthetic value, not us.
m
l
February 12, 2010 11:17:46 PM

That's not a bad choice either.
m
l
February 12, 2010 11:32:51 PM

I put everything together and its about $875 with MIRs thanks a lot guys. I actually dont have the money now, maybe in a week or so. Do you think any prices will drop in that time or anything?
And can you trust any "open box" products on newegg? like a video card or anything?
m
l
February 12, 2010 11:37:33 PM

No idea. The combos will change.

I've never gotten any open box items, so I can't really say.
m
l
February 13, 2010 12:39:23 AM

If you enjoy gambling and can afford to wait for RMAs to process then you can save money going the open box route. If spending phone time with Tech support and waiting for a part to get your system running frustrates you then I wouldnt bother.

If you like the thermaltake V9, go for it.
m
l
February 13, 2010 1:16:42 AM

Alright, thanks a lot guys. I'll still be looking for better deals, and parts etc. Thanks again
m
l
February 23, 2010 7:13:22 PM

Best answer selected by Squirrel15.
m
l
!