Your question
Solved

Are hybrid drives better

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 17, 2012 5:40:13 AM

I'm building a new PC and for the most part i have decided on every thing but the hard drive. i want 1 TB of storage but not sure about which drive to go with. i have been thinking about the Seagate monumentus XT 500gb x2 in raid 0. i don't want to go with a SSD because of the problems that they have and to get 1 TB is to expensive. do i go with the two hybrid Seagates or the the cheaper normal version. what do all of you think

More about : hybrid drives

a b G Storage
February 17, 2012 6:20:29 AM

What Problems do SSD's have? I have 2 SSD's RAID 0 and have never had a problem. I am pretty sure the The monumentus XT's are 2.5" laptop drives (yes I know they can also be used in a desktop). Benchmarks of Hybrid drives do show some improvement over normal laptop disks but i do not know how the logic within the hybrid disk will react to being in a RAID-0 setup. You do not need a 1TB SSD. You can get a 60GB SSD for OS and apps and a 1TB disk for data storage. If you are set against getting an SSD than I recommend you just get a normal 3.5" 7200RPM HDD.
m
l
February 17, 2012 7:08:18 AM

most of the reviews that i read of SSDs are that a lot of the glitches are not all worked out and that they fail quicker than HDDs do. as for the 1 TB i have a lot of games and programs that i like to play and uninstalling and installing them gets old. the last one was 250 GB and i had to do that with that one. i want to get good performance with the space to store several games in
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 17, 2012 9:02:32 AM

SSD reliability due to firmware issues was an issue a few months ago virtually all of those issues have been resolved. No more BSOD’s. My computer with 2 SSD Raid-0 sleeps, hibernates, and runs with no problems. As for hardware reliably virtual all of those are resolved in windows 7 support of TRIM and ensuring you have your SSD setup correctly. Do SSD’s have limited read write capability compared to an HHD from what I have read yes but there is provisioning for that in the SSD controller which monitors writes to ensure the nand use is spread across the drive there is also extra provisioning IE a 60GB SSD is really 64GB the other 4 GB is to replace bad nand areas overtime. If you want speed go with a 60GB SSD as a boot drive and for commonly used programs then use the 1TB HDD for all of the other programs and misc. data. If you do not care about the speed get the fastest 7200RPM HDD you can find. A 60GB SSD and a 1TB HDD will cost you less than two 500GB hybrid drives and yield better performance. Obviously a single 1TB HDD will be even cheaper.
February 18, 2012 4:43:18 AM

i think Ill go with a set up like that to see how it work out. my final PC set up is this. still want to use the raid 0 and the over all price was about the same

SanDisk 120 GB Solid State Drive
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 CL 7
AMD Phenom II X4 975 3.6Ghz 6MB Cache FSB 4000MHz HT
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H60 120mm Water Cooler
GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 (AMD 990X, 3xPCI-Ex, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW
CoolerMaster Black HAF 922
750watt Corsair CMPSU-750TX V2
m
l
a b G Storage
February 18, 2012 6:50:52 AM

I think you will be very happy with that drive configuration. Ensure you update the SSD firmware before you install the OS. Truthfully I think 120GB is the sweet spot for SSD’s. I use 2 120GB OCZ SSD’s in my setup. But for single disk 120GB is the way to go.
m
l
February 18, 2012 11:27:33 PM

By the way, by the time most SSDs become noticeably worn down (assuming the OS isn't using it as a RAM), many HDDs would've had a mechanical failure.
m
l
February 20, 2012 4:16:28 AM

Best answer selected by Miester.
m
l
!