Radeon HD 5870 - screen flickering

Lefti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Hi,

I just got a new Sapphire Radeon 5870 vapor-x, installed it with 10.1 drivers & vista x64.

Right from the start I noticed a flickering across the top inch or so of the screen, every few seconds, coloured lines and a slight unalignment of the image.

So I plugged my monitor into the other DVI port and the problem stopped completely, plugged it back into the other port and the problem was back.

What could the reason for this be? Is it a faulty port on the card? Advice will be appreciated :)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
sounds like the port is to blame. could be electrical interference, but i don't think it would only affect a portion of the image like that, so its more likely a bad connection.

you could RMA it, but unless you plan on using both DVI ports for dual-link it shouldn't really hinder you.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Many ATI owners suspect the driver isnt quite right. I get the flickering on the DP port but it will go away if I unplug it and plug it back in. It happens on the DVI ports intermittently. Are you using a DVI-dual cable? You didnt mention the size of your monitor. These are identified with all of the pins being present - a DVI single has two obvious sets of pins. If running at 1900x1280 you should use a DVI-dual cable.

I dont think it is your card

Lefti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
ty for the responses.

Turns out it was a driver issue, ATi have provided a hotfix for the 5800 series, it works fine on both ports now :)