brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Hey, all, I'm looking to upgrade my mobo at some point in the near(ish) future, but I am looking for something that supports SLI, USB 3.0, SATA III. Problem is that I have an AMD system, and per Newegg, they really don't have any systems with that hardware (Xfire support, of course, but not many supporting SLI). Anyone know of a good one, no more than $150? Here are my current specs, if it helps at all...

AMD P2 955
Antec TP750
OCZ BE 2x2gb DDR3
Cooler Master RC690
MSI N460GTX Hawk

Solution
There is no Nvidia AMD chipset that supports USB 3.0 or SATA 6.0 Gb/s, as Nvidia stopled producing chipsets before these were released. Your best option is to add in PCI slot cards for each those components. If you want an AM3 board, I would go with this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236 for SLI support. Now MSI has boards that support Fusion technology, which is suppose to allow mixing of graphics cards but I don't trust it let. Also, ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme is suppose to be released some time, which should give you SLI support.

tecmo34

Administrator
There is no Nvidia AMD chipset that supports USB 3.0 or SATA 6.0 Gb/s, as Nvidia stopled producing chipsets before these were released. Your best option is to add in PCI slot cards for each those components. If you want an AM3 board, I would go with this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236 for SLI support. Now MSI has boards that support Fusion technology, which is suppose to allow mixing of graphics cards but I don't trust it let. Also, ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme is suppose to be released some time, which should give you SLI support.

Solution

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Alright. Exactly the information I was looking for! Thanks, tecmo34. The Asus board looks smokin'. I'll keep an eye open for that, though I'm sure it'll be a good $100 outside of my (flexible?) price range.

Brandon

p.s. I was just talking with someone about the great Tecmo Bowl. Must have rented that from the local video store a dozen times when I was a kid! Ya, probably could have just outright bought it at that point, but oh well.

tecmo34

Administrator
It was one of the greatest games of all times. I was a huge fan (& owner of all of them) till it died on the Playstation. :(