czarmurphy

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the month, $1400 max after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, recreational media

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: none (starting from scratch)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: none

PARTS PREFERENCES:

GPU: Radeon HD 5850 x1
CPU: Intel-based (i5-750 maybe?)
MOBO: 1156 chipset Crossfire enabled (for future purposes)
Monitor: Screen size in the low 20"s (no more than 24)

Other than that, I simply don't want to bottleneck myself. But the (eventually) crossfired 5850 is the foundation I want to build from)

OVERCLOCKING: Light OC, probably GPU and CPU

CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

I put an 1156 based motherboard even though I want to crossfire two 5850s down the road because according to the link below, moving from 1156 to 1366 is only necessary when xfiring more than two GPUs, and I'm only going to use two. Also, I'm not buying a second 5850 right now, so you don't have to include that in the final price. I'd just like to see what my options are for a $1400 system that will eventually house dual graphics cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-crossfire-nf200,2537-9.html

In addition to the recommended build for right now, I would also like to know: Is this even a good time to build? This would be my first time, and I'm in no hurry to order parts. Especially if there is a lot of new technology emerging this year, I could potentially (yet reluctantly) wait until around fall.

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

A month is a ways off. If I were you I would just keep up on whats getting ready to get released in the near future. Look at some of the i5 builds that are on here and that will give you an idea of what you are going to get. As far as graphics card which is what you most likely be interested in that is still up in the air. Lots of stuff will be released with in a month or so that might change your build completely.

czarmurphy

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
So you think a new card is going to be released soon that will match the 5850's performance and value? Because I don't really care to spend any more than three hundies on a graphics card.

czarmurphy

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
If the new nVidia cards end up with good value, then I will consider them. But as it stands right now, their cards are simply too expensive to compete with the ones from ATI. I don't even consider them in my choices for this reason.