Sign in with
Your question

Whats the relationship between GPUs and CPUS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2010 10:33:12 PM

I was reading some reviews and benchmarks and people kept saying your cpu sucks to much to run crossfire 5870s. my question is whats the relationship between the cpu speed and your gpu. THANKS !
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 10:38:55 PM

From what I know, everything is transferred from your HDD (where the data is) to your RAM (so it can easily be accessed by your CPU) your CPU then sorts that data and sends it where it needs to go (ie it sends the data to your sound card, video card etc.)

So if your CPU cant sort stuff quickly, your GPU isn't getting the information quick enough.
February 3, 2010 11:31:26 PM

^^ simple and strait to the point
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2010 10:50:12 AM

For gaming, the CPU handles most of the actual computation that is needed to "set up" each individual frame for the GPU to render, and the GPU takes that data and creates the actual image.

Natrually, if one is slower then the other, you lose performance; a slower CPU will leave the GPU waiting for extra data, and a slow GPU won't be able to process all the information that a CPU sends.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 3:07:04 PM

Also note that it is impossible to actually match up a gpu and cpu.

So if someone mentions the bottleneck word, ask them to back it up with data and then laugh at them as they most likely fail.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2010 6:15:33 PM

^ +1
I like :D 

Mactronix
!