Solved

Final Decision Help

I have to make the final call of AMD 630 w/5770 vs i5-750 using integrated for my HTPC and was wanting some considerations. Both price out similarly so it is a matter of performance. Mostly watch OTA and internet material, some encoding, no gameplay since i have a ps3. wil stream to ps3 but either can handle this. what do you think. Also looking for a good board for the i5. how about some recommendations on p55 and h55/57 versions. Considering overclocking since it can be done easily with no extra voltage needed. Thanks
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about final decision help
  1. Best answer
    You cant use integrated graphics with an i5-750, the IGPs on the H55/57 boards are part of the new i5 and i3 processors, not the motherboards themselves so you would still need to buy a GPU. An Athlon II 620 and a 5670 would still be more than enough. A 5770 is equivalent to a 4870 which is a good card for gaming, the 5670 is close to the 4670 which is the bare minimum for decent gaming but is more than enough for HTPC and non gaming tasks.
  2. buzzforb said:
    I have to make the final call of AMD 630 w/5770 vs i5-750 using integrated for my HTPC and was wanting some considerations. Both price out similarly so it is a matter of performance. Mostly watch OTA and internet material, some encoding, no gameplay since i have a ps3. wil stream to ps3 but either can handle this. what do you think. Also looking for a good board for the i5. how about some recommendations on p55 and h55/57 versions. Considering overclocking since it can be done easily with no extra voltage needed. Thanks


    Id probably go with the 630/5770.
  3. I'd go for the Core-i5 if you're not planning on doing any gaming on the PC. the i5 can handle all your media streaming needs just fine, and there's a plethora of boards out there with HDMI if you're looking to go that route. Though, you need to switch the 750 for a 650 or a 661 (necessary, since the 750 DOES NOT have the integrated graphics chip). The 650 is just under $195 shipped, the 661 is $210 but faster all around than the 650. If you want to keep costs down (and since this machine shouldn't need that much power) you could even go for an i3 540, only $135 @ 3.06GHz.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128420

    This GIGABYTE board should be able to handle what you're looking to do. It's micro-ATX, and assuming you're using this for a HTPC, you're planning on keeping it compact. It's got all the standard fare for connections, plus HDMI and a PCI-x16 slot should you wish to up the graphics horsepower and turn it into a low-cost gaming rig. Best of all, it's under $100 shipped.
  4. tikrjee said:
    I'd go for the Core-i5 if you're not planning on doing any gaming on the PC. the i5 can handle all your media streaming needs just fine, and there's a plethora of boards out there with HDMI if you're looking to go that route. Though, I'd switch the 750 for a 661.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128420

    This GIGABYTE board should be able to handle what you're looking to do. It's micro-ATX, and assuming you're using this for a HTPC, you're planning on keeping it compact. It's got all the standard fare for connections, plus HDMI and a PCI-x16 slot should you wish to up the graphics horsepower and turn it into a low-cost gaming rig. Best of all, it's under $100 shipped.

    That motherboard will only work with the dual-core i3 and i5 chips. Like hunter315 said, the i5 750 doesn't have an integrated GPU, so the graphics output on the motherboard wouldn't work with an i5 750. The dual-core chips wouldn't really be a good option for this build since he wants to do some encoding.
  5. shortstuff_mt said:
    That motherboard will only work with the dual-core i3 and i5 chips. Like hunter315 said, the i5 750 doesn't have an integrated GPU, so the graphics output on the motherboard wouldn't work with an i5 750. The dual-core chips wouldn't really be a good option for this build since he wants to do some encoding.


    You from Montana? Me too, but Im in TX now.
  6. shortstuff_mt said:
    That motherboard will only work with the dual-core i3 and i5 chips. Like hunter315 said, the i5 750 doesn't have an integrated GPU, so the graphics output on the motherboard wouldn't work with an i5 750. The dual-core chips wouldn't really be a good option for this build since he wants to do some encoding.


    Caught my mistake, edited the post to suggest switching the 750 for the 650, 661, or even going for the i3-540
  7. I may be mistaken about encoding. What role would it play i a HTPC. I assummed it was part of taking whatever source(OTA,INternet,dvd) and putting it in a more pleasing format. I would be willing to add a GPU to the i5 750 if it would give me better quality viewing. I was planning on using tmt and the Slim HD plug in. Do you guys have other suggestions for software. Just looking for the best picture out of whatever source i put in.
  8. Best answer selected by buzzforb.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build PlayStation Intel i5 Systems Product