Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quad or dual.

Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2010 7:05:32 PM

Hello.

i wanted to know...

i am going to make a computer and i was wondering which CPU i should put in it.

the:
Intel® Core™ i5-661 Processor (4M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43553

or the: Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz)
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42915

im going to use this mostly for gaming.

my only thing is some people 'it better to have a faster dual core, then a slower (by slower i mean each core) quad core' but there's disagreement on that.

so i am using it mostly for games but other stuff as well.

but will the computer take advantage of all of the cores in loading stuff and those sort of things??

please reply, thanks

yogman.

More about : quad dual

a c 105 à CPUs
April 19, 2010 7:10:58 PM

do you plan to OC your CPU? An OC i5-750 is one of the best gaming CPU for the money. The i5-661 is also very good but with more and more games focusing on multicores the 750 would be the better long term option of the two.
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2010 7:36:33 PM

ct1615 said:
do you plan to OC your CPU? An OC i5-750 is one of the best gaming CPU for the money. The i5-661 is also very good but with more and more games focusing on multicores the 750 would be the better long term option of the two.

+1

Totally agree. If your planning to play future games, core i5 750 is a very good choice.

If your not planning to OC and only playing older games that can only use a thread, i would say get core i5 661 as the speed would benefit more than the extra cores.
Related resources
April 19, 2010 7:36:38 PM

ct1615 said:

ok thank you!!!

but if i dont OC it would the 750 still be the better chose??
April 19, 2010 7:37:34 PM

warmon6 said:
+1

Totally agree. If your planning to play future games, core i5 750 is a very good choice.

If your not planning to OC and only playing older games that can only use a thread, i would say get core i5 661 as the speed would benefit more than the extra cores.

well.. will OCing harm my machine?
April 19, 2010 7:39:58 PM

ok also.. will the computer take advantage of the multiple cores in regular use like; boot up, starting a program and things like that?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 19, 2010 7:56:56 PM

i5-750 all the way!!!
Many games right now benefit from 4-core CPU, and games in the future would require 4 cores to run properly at max( something like GTA4 is;) ).

The PC will take an advantage, but to experience the full power of your Quad CPU, install Windows 7. ( It's code is specificly written to take advantage from multi-core CPU's )

OC'ing won't be dangerous as long as you know what ur doing and have a good fan and heatsink.

April 19, 2010 8:03:26 PM

Best answer selected by yogman.
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2010 8:05:18 PM

Well the i5 750 might, at its fairly low clockrate, bottleneck higher-end GPU. However more and more games are focusing on multi-core processing so as a long term option, i'd recommend the Quad Core. The i3-661, at its higher clockrate, will be advantages if the game can use such a high clockrate and many games can, however newer games are more oriented towards Quad Core cpu's. Moreover, the i5 750 is an excellent overclocker. You can easily push it to 3.33Ghz if you have decent cooling. It can damage your system, but you just need to do some research to know what you are doing and you will be fine. However I wouldn't recommend doing unless its bottlenecking your GPU as there is no point in risking for a voided warranty and broken CPU, even if its a low chance.
April 19, 2010 8:05:57 PM

unknown_13 said:
i5-750 all the way!!!
Many games right now benefit from 4-core CPU, and games in the future would require 4 cores to run properly at max( something like GTA4 is;) ).

The PC will take an advantage, but to experience the full power of your Quad CPU, install Windows 7. ( It's code is specificly written to take advantage from multi-core CPU's )

OC'ing won't be dangerous as long as you know what ur doing and have a good fan and heatsink.

Yes i will have windows 7!

so you think i should do quad?

also i will have liquid cooling and the cooling and memory or OC certified.

you think i should OC??
a c 105 à CPUs
April 19, 2010 8:06:09 PM

the i5-750 was made to be Over clocked!
April 19, 2010 8:06:31 PM

sorry mistype i ment both memory and cooling ARE OC certified.
April 19, 2010 8:11:22 PM

OK guys thanks for all of your help!!! I owe you alot!!

i am ending this topic so if you'd please stop posting that would be great!!

thanks again!

yogman
!