Your question

Question Regarding Antec PSU

Tags:
  • Antec
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 19, 2010 8:10:15 PM

They are expensive, people always say they are quality... but... I think they are terrible.

I have built and rebuilt my computers for a long time, I also build them for family and friends...

Long story short... EVERY Antec PSU's that either came with the case or the only one I bought seperately have Died without abuse.

300W, 350W, 450W with sonata II, 500W with SonataIII, some expensive 550W I got a while ago... All dead

In Antec's defence, the 300W were with older cases (athlon2400XP) and lasted 3 years but still...

I am not the only one, friend of mine has had the same issues with a few...

I am simply wondering if anyone else have had issues with Antec PSU's having a short life.

On the side note, I sold a lot of Acepowers (400, 450 and 520W) they cost cheap, have a big 12" Fan under, runs quiet... Never had an issue with them.

More about : question antec psu

April 19, 2010 8:24:59 PM

Their older Smart power and true power line can die. They used caps that will die when exposed to heat. Those might have come with the SonataII cases. 3 years isn't a bad time either. It would put it from the time of the cap problem, but 3 years is okish for a PSU to last. 3 years ago efficiency was usually somewhere between 70-80%. A high end unit was barely at 80%, we are now close to 90%.

A big 12" fan? I think you mean 120mm.
m
l
April 19, 2010 8:59:22 PM

Yes I ment 120mm...

I find that powersupplies with 120mm fans help air circulation a lot more then the ones who have 2x 80mm front and back fans for example Thermaltake430W tr2
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2010 9:43:33 PM

It mostly shouldn't matter. 2x80 in push pull config with good layout is "best". It will pull the heat away, and then exhaust from the case. Problem is its usually so clutter the air can't move that well inside the PSU. A lot easier to design the PSU with the air blowing in/down from above.
m
l
April 19, 2010 10:32:09 PM

C00lIT said:
They are expensive, people always say they are quality... but... I think they are terrible.

I have built and rebuilt my computers for a long time, I also build them for family and friends...

On the side note, I sold a lot of Acepowers (400, 450 and 520W) they cost cheap, have a big 12" Fan under, runs quiet... Never had an issue with them.

Antec has a good reputation for a reason . That doesn't mean everyone will have the same experience. Every product, no matter how good, has somebody who has terrible experience with it. You happen to be one of those people.

Its also worth pointing out that Antec quality usually refers to their enthusiast grade stuff. Not the OEM, it came with the case stuff.
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:13:24 PM

Actually Antec is one of the few people who bundle quality PSUs with their cases. I believe they are currently using their Basiq brand, while a few Earthwatts are in there as well. Much better quality then those bundles you see with a 600W PSU for $45 shipped.
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:20:38 PM

Yes, they do. But NOT at the standard of the enthusiast grade units. I was just underscoring the point he made himself. That many of the units he has had trouble with were not top models.

But your right. Antec case PSU's are better than the avaerage "came with the case" PSU.
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:29:53 PM

4745454b said:
Their older Smart power and true power line can die. They used caps that will die when exposed to heat. Those might have come with the SonataII cases.

Exactly. And I believe they were standard edition on the Sonata II, if memory serves. And that is 3 of the 5 he listed.
m
l
April 20, 2010 3:13:46 AM

I've been running an Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU for three years now, first with a heavily OC'd Core 2 Duo, and then with an OC'd Core 2 Quad and SLI config, and I've had no problems. Handles everything I throw at it. I also put one of these babies in a build I did for my in-laws - still running strong after two years. Stable as you could wish for. Antec made me a believer with this unit, even though when I next upgrade it will be to a Silverstone single rail. But I would never hesitate to recommend their PSU's to others.
m
l
Anonymous
April 25, 2010 8:02:58 AM

I pretty much doubt ALL of your units failed, and IF they did you must have been taken good care of from Antec's superb customer service? I actually don't see any sense in your post since you obviously don't seek for help but rather want to talk Antec down...
m
l
May 4, 2010 8:42:16 PM

Hi Coolit.

Your story doesn't add up really and as already someone else said, you must know the technical support pretty well if you would have had contacted them. I can assure you we would have had exchanged those units in no time. So... I can also not see much sense in your post right now.

If you need help, please refer to Antec.com for instant technical support.

Everything else, like your post for example... looks only like you try to spread false information to mid-lead people about the high quality of Antec products. We were just ranked as the most reliable PSU brand by French media hardware.fr. I am sure you have a perfect explanation and reasons for your post above and I am eager to get your response.

Regards,
m
l
May 4, 2010 9:06:36 PM

Some people just have crappy luck with certain brands. It happens.
m
l
May 4, 2010 9:12:14 PM

FALC0N said:
Some people just have crappy luck with certain brands. It happens.

I know that too since I was a normal user once.... BUT.... think about it.... the percentage of people bragging about broken Antec products is very high. I don't say it must be necessarily the case here, but we DO KNOW that competitors are using this way in forums and comment sections at etailers to make people insecure about the brand. It's pretty sad but that's web2.0....
m
l
May 4, 2010 10:49:28 PM

Im sure there is some of that as well.

Also, if you look reallly closely at some of those reviews, they are obviously written by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

I remember a motherboard user review a while back where the guy took a 95 watt AMD board and threw a Phenom 9950 OC'd to 3.2 GHz in it. At that clock speed, the 9950 can draw 250 watts. He blew the board, RMA'd it, blew it again, RMA'd, and blew it again, and then blamed the board. It was a 95 watt board. It never had a chance. I couldn't stop laughing.
m
l
May 5, 2010 3:11:07 AM

C00lIT said:
Yes I ment 120mm...

I find that powersupplies with 120mm fans help air circulation a lot more then the ones who have 2x 80mm front and back fans for example Thermaltake430W tr2

was using a Raidmax Volcano for my last P4 s 478 system that had dual intake and exhaust fans and boy it took the bame volcano quite literally, it made my entire bedroom hot as if you had a heater inside, it was an old 630w non-80+ PSU i bought on sale at Frys for $70 when i still had no idea and clue about PSUs, i ran it at usually 24/7 but did turn off my system from time to time and im amazed it never blew up on me(luck i guess), used this setup from 2002 to 2010 upgrading parts but staying in the P4 s478 platform. games nowadays can even play right in low settings

replaced my MoBo and CPU to a X4 955 and MSI AM3 mobo with Corsair DDR3 4gb ram 1333mhz and a replaced my old raidmax brand new Antec TruePower New Blue 750w 80+ Bronze i again got at Frys for an uber deal of $79, the price was the reason i bought it since i was at Frys picking up my RAM, u got lost and wondered into the PSUs and asked which one was the cheapest 750w they had

i decided a new system deserves better and cleaner power and i really dont want to risk my new system on a PSU ive pretty much abused for the past 3 years, and i do plan to Crossfire whatever graphics cards i get so im banking on my luck with PC parts/brands, ive had my system built and running windows 7 and im surprised i stuck with a P4 for that long, WAY LESS HEAT coming from the PSU compared to the last i had, im also using 2 Antec Spotcool Fans pointed at the NorthBridge and the bottom part of my vidcard(the underside opposite the heatsink and cooling fan) along with 4x intake 120mm led fans and 1x 120mm exhaust led fan at the back of a simple old TT M9 case
m
l
May 19, 2010 9:59:19 PM

Last year two of my Antec Quatro 850 failed in a span of ~3 months. Both are ~ close to 3 years old. A component(or several) inside just went up in smoke. The pc shutdown. Prior to that I never had any PSU failures. Fry's replaced both of my PSU.

After that i switch to corsair HX1000 on one of my setup

My PCs are on 24x7 for close to 3 years then these Antec's just died.

I'm considering puting together a new 6 core AMD PC.... Corsair HX850 will be my next supply.
m
l
May 20, 2010 2:00:27 AM

leon2006 said:
Last year two of my Antec Quatro 850 failed in a span of ~3 months. Both are ~ close to 3 years old. A component(or several) inside just went up in smoke. The pc shutdown. Prior to that I never had any PSU failures. Fry's replaced both of my PSU.

After that i switch to corsair HX1000 on one of my setup

My PCs are on 24x7 for close to 3 years then these Antec's just died.

I'm considering puting together a new 6 core AMD PC.... Corsair HX850 will be my next supply.

Well congratulations, I don't know what this has to do with anything but... maybe you want to wait for the line new lineups of Antec power supplies. Especialliy when you are running tight setups 24/7 we might have just the best possible solution for you.
m
l
May 20, 2010 12:12:40 PM

Christoph@ANTEC said:
Well congratulations, I don't know what this has to do with anything but... maybe you want to wait for the line new lineups of Antec power supplies. Especialliy when you are running tight setups 24/7 we might have just the best possible solution for you.

Congratulations for what ? This is about a particular product that failed twice.

It's a big dissapointment.... 3 years ago when i purchase these supplies i didn't even blink.... Antec Quatro 850W it is. The lowest possible risk for my investment. That was the mindset then.

Never had PSU failure before:
Prior to that i had several enermax PSU, Antec 450, Antec 500, and several no-known brand PSU.... These PSU units were retired because its OLD and Short in capacity. These PSU's still work but obsolete.

This is a fast world and waiting is a virtue for losers. When any of my HW fail i purchase replacement the same day to get my systems back up. When system is back up then i go to the cycle of warranty claim.

I'm always open to looking at good and reliable products. For new 850W range capacity certainly it would not be the Antec Quatro 850.

Nature of application:

Its common for my PCs to run 100% CPU and 100% GPU for 2 to 3 weeks straight non-stop. I run design simulation on these hardwares. I have Mathlab codes that use the GPU as additional processors to speed up the process. These PCs run the jobs that i can't pass to my servers. The PSUs are supplying considerable power at these conditions.

My facility is powered by In-Line UPS 100% of the time with all sorts of filter surge protection. My loads has no connection to utility power.

m
l
May 20, 2010 4:28:33 PM

Like someone said, someone has to have a bad experience.

Take NewEgg. There is always someone somewhere, even in a big city, who got horrible service from NewEgg. Personally, they've been flawless for me since they had a webpage.

Another thing to note is a company is run by humans and at some point have a string of 'bad products'. It's possible that there was a few year stretch of bad Antec OEM product lines. Heck, even Toyota has problems right now, but 'overall' they've had nothing but quality.
m
l
May 23, 2010 2:06:36 AM

FALC0N said:
Im sure there is some of that as well.

Also, if you look reallly closely at some of those reviews, they are obviously written by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

I remember a motherboard user review a while back where the guy took a 95 watt AMD board and threw a Phenom 9950 OC'd to 3.2 GHz in it. At that clock speed, the 9950 can draw 250 watts. He blew the board, RMA'd it, blew it again, RMA'd, and blew it again, and then blamed the board. It was a 95 watt board. It never had a chance. I couldn't stop laughing.

Falcon can you post a link please I would love to see that!
All comes down to luck lol.
m
l
!