Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

PSU shutting down randomly

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 19, 2010 8:32:38 PM

My power supply is buzzing like as though its discharging and then just completely shutting down. i have to put the plug and wait until the LED on the motherboard turns off before I can plug it in and successfully turn it on. this happens at random times, sometimes not for hours, sometimes in minutes. any idea why?

psu: CG black steel 580w. admittedly, i shouldnt have bought this, but i have, and i dont have the time to get a new one anytime soon

im pretty sure that nothing else is causing it, since this only began after one of the fans started going crazy and i took the psu apart to remove the (wrong) fan

More about : psu shutting randomly

a c 243 ) Power supply
April 19, 2010 10:33:35 PM

bxsciencer said:
My power supply is buzzing like as though its discharging and then just completely shutting down. i have to put the plug and wait until the LED on the motherboard turns off before I can plug it in and successfully turn it on. this happens at random times, sometimes not for hours, sometimes in minutes. any idea why?

psu: CG black steel 580w. admittedly, i shouldnt have bought this, but i have, and i dont have the time to get a new one anytime soon

im pretty sure that nothing else is causing it, since this only began after one of the fans started going crazy and i took the psu apart to remove the (wrong) fan

You're risking all of the components in your system, I'd make the time to buy a new psu, preferably one of better quality.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 19, 2010 10:51:32 PM

+1 ^^ If its giving you trouble its gonna go soon and when it does it could take out 75% of your system with it so try to get a new one ASAP.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
April 19, 2010 11:15:08 PM

+2 for above posts. DO NOT EVER SKIMP ON THE PSU.

Get a quality unit from Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, XFX or Seasonic.
m
l
a c 246 ) Power supply
April 19, 2010 11:26:09 PM

+3 what the others said.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty.
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:36:48 PM

thanks all! i got a spare psu from a friend and it seems to be stable
m
l
April 21, 2010 9:24:42 AM

bxsciencer said:

Having the same problem
issue with wrong connection

call a person who know all electrical works

see that all three pins in plug (ground livewire and neautral) are in correct postion

m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 21, 2010 1:17:07 PM

kdhallu said:
... see that all three pins in plug (ground livewire and neautral) are in correct postion

You mean wall socket?

The only reason you might have a problem with a computer power cord is if someone replaced the plug and did it wrong. In that case, you are better off throwing it away and buying a new one.

If you are talking about the wall plug, move your computer to a different room on a different circuit to see if the problem follows.
m
l