Ram: GSKILL 7SR1600
HDD: WD1TB BLUE
SSD: OCZ V4 128
CASE: Z11
PSU: NZXT 650
SINK: 212EVO
GPU: GTX 670 OC

I am planning on overclocking it and here are my questions:
1. Should I do it? to what extent? 4.4 Ghz is ok?
2. If most of the task is online gaming then should I overclock it? (I kinda want to do it since I get the 3570k instead of the non-k one).
3. I always download and turn on my PC for days, and I am wondering if it will have a problem with overclocking? will it be too hot?
4. When will the overclocked performance be activated? when handle the difficult task like playing battle field? Video rendering?
5. Considering the negative impacts, If I overclocked it, will my PC last 5 years? (because I am planning on donate it later)

Thank you

Solution

natb4444

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

So if I overclocked it but dont really play intensive game (once in a while) will that be ok? or once I overclocked it, its life will be shotern immidiately?

1. Yes, but be conservative. 4.0-4.3 should be very safe. The key is to leave the voltage settings on auto and only change the multiplier.

2. Some online games are more cpu intensive than single player. One notable one is BF3.

3. Speedstep will downclock the cpu to 1.6 when it has nothing to do. It will only run at max when it needs to.

4. see 3.

5. So long as you do not run at elevated temperatures or abnormal voltages, I would not worry.

Solution

natb4444

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Thank you. This is what i am waiting for all day. I thought once i overclocked my cpu it will always work harder than normal haha

If you have to ask, the answer is no. Overclocking for the sake of overclocking is pointless. If you have a need to do it, the time to do it properly, and the cash to buy replacement components if something goes wrong, then sure you can overclock. However, if you don't have a pressing need to overclock, then don't bother. However, to answer your questions:

1. If you want to do it, 4.2-4.4 Ghz is "fairly safe". It is not guaranteed and may take some work and/or some extra cooling (the 212 should be able to handle it nicely), but it is doable by most i5 processors.

2. Ultimately it depends on what games you are playing. Online games are usually network bound and will not see noticeable performance improvements from modern processors.

3. If you overclock properly you won't be changing the idle frequency, just the top turbo frequency. Thus, it won't run hotter when idle. However, as the span between idle and full-load increases, the chances of instability also increase.

4. Modern OS and hardware schedulers are quite efficient. If you overclock by increasing the turbo multiplier then it will run at that frequency when it is needed and safe to do so. It is possible to disable power saving features which will force the CPU to operate at its full frequency 100% of the time but this isn't recommended.

5. Every chip is different. Intel's warranty is 3 years, but most chips will last many times that. Overclocking decreases the lifespan exponentially and the impact is inversely proportional to the chip quality. Lower quality chips will fail before high quality chips when subject to the same stresses. I have a QX9650 that I ran at 4Ghz for years (stock 3.0Ghz) which still works just fine and dandy at its stock settings. I also have a Q6600 which bit the dust after a few years. If you want it to last, it's probably not a good idea to push it too hard.

natb4444

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

WOWWWW thank you for your suggestion. I guess I will overclock it as I will play some intense game occasionally. Also, I will have a computer expert do it for me and yes I have the warranty so that is awesome. I love the fact that after overclocking the cpu will run normally as non-overclocked cpu with easy task. At first I had an idea that once overclocked, it will always have to work harder than the normal one even for easy task like internet surfing and blah blah blah. Thank you for clearing this up for me. Love you all ^_^