Optimize current HD setup?

pabloe168

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hey, currently I have 2 intel ssd 40gb. the first series that came out. I have them on raid 0, and I also have a seagate 1.5tb Hdd which might be the cheapest storage memory in the market.

So my initial plan was to have both hard drives for boot time improvement, and one big bulky hard drive for file storage.

Heres what went wrong. SSD are a little unstable. Drivers are underdeveloped, and the SSDs bottleneck like if there was no tomorrow. Boot time is also disappointing just like the overall performance which can't be monitored anyway for driver support issues.

What other possible arrangement can I setup here? I know it was a mistake to go get SSDs as soon as they came out... But lets not beat up a dead ssd setup...

Should I brake the Raid0 arrange install windows in on Drive, install demanding applications in the other and keep my bulky data on my big drive? If so how does running different applications from different arranges affect the performance / stability?

Should I try to salvage the SSDs sell them and get a hybrid? or a bigger ssd?

Should I just try to update firmware and drivers to improve the raid arrange? I heard TRIM support for Raid 0 SSDs came out. Will that help me?

What would you do?

thanks..

Solution
First off I would look at my finances and figure out a budget amount to see if getting a new SSD is possable. The reason being is that because you did get the SSD's when they first came out there has obviously been newer drives released since and it might be a good thing to get a newer SSD.
Agood solution for you would be to keep the 1.5tb hdd for storage and get a 180gb or 240gb SSD for the OS drive , the reason being is that the 240gb is big enough for the OS and a few games along with your most used apps and all of the updates and upgrades that come up. You will not have to worry about overcrowding the OS drive like you would with a 60gb or 120gb drive.
You shouldn't have too much trouble selling the two 40gb SSD's because they are...
First off I would look at my finances and figure out a budget amount to see if getting a new SSD is possable. The reason being is that because you did get the SSD's when they first came out there has obviously been newer drives released since and it might be a good thing to get a newer SSD.
Agood solution for you would be to keep the 1.5tb hdd for storage and get a 180gb or 240gb SSD for the OS drive , the reason being is that the 240gb is big enough for the OS and a few games along with your most used apps and all of the updates and upgrades that come up. You will not have to worry about overcrowding the OS drive like you would with a 60gb or 120gb drive.
You shouldn't have too much trouble selling the two 40gb SSD's because they are the right size for people who have the Intel RST enabled motherboards.
If you are haveing issues with the raid setup and want to use the SSD's seperate they are small capacity drives so it will be a lot of work to keep the drive with the OS on it from filling up and while it can be done you will always have to be mindful of what you do. So it does come down to what do you want to spend and which way do you want to go buy new or fix what you have.
The one thing you left out is the SSD's are sata2 or sata3? The motherboard that you have is it sata2 or sata3?

Solution

pabloe168

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Thanks for your response, by the way pardon me I am on my phone. I have a gigabyte udr3 x58 I think it's sata 3. And my ssds are says 2 damm... whats the difference?