Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SATA ports directly underneath the graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:08:23 AM

Today I had the pleasure of figuring out how I was going to install my GTS 250 in my PC...only because I knew I might have to rearrange the SATA cables if it didn't fit just right :pfff:  . I had an 8800GT that was only one slot and didn't interfere with the SATA ports much and everyone got along :)  .
Today I got familiar with the b-side of the stock cables in my case, simply choosing to take the angled end of the cables and set them into SATA slots 2 and 4 respectively, allowing slot 1 to use a normal sata cable. Sadly port 3 is closed as there is no way to get a cable in there. :pt1cable:  (got pics if ya wanna see...)
The BFG GTS 250 OC I got yesterday on sale for $115...(couldn't resist) is a noticeable improvement over my older PNY XLR8 8800GT.
Not so much on 3DMark '06
but in Games, it Rocks.
My resources in GTA 4 went from a paltry 496 to 1000!
I was able to set everything up to max settings with distance range at 38 totalling resources used to 996, 1440 x 900 75hz, 16.5 Widesceen.
I'm feeling alright now.
It was a good purchase.
On another note because I was debating it
I have 4 days to decide if I want to chance the GTX 260 for $181, but my Tt 550 dual rail 12v rating is only 35, the 260 requires 38.
I think the GTS 250 will do just fine!
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:20:03 AM

Do you have a question?

1. For $10 more (~$125), you could've gotten a 4870 512mb, equal to a GTX260 sp192. Nonetheless, an OCed GTS250 for $115 isn't a bad deal.

2. Get right angle sata connectors for those slots under the GPU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:28:18 AM

Sorry...it's just excitement, my question has already been answered in the form of game tests, so I don't need to know if the thing'll outrun an 8800GT anymore.
I'm holding off on Radeon because I really dig the features Nvidia has with the Phys-X and Cuda. It's unbelieveable to me to see family photo's on the Phys-X screensaver getting blown right through. LOL! The images are crystal clear and rotate without a hang.
I'd be looking hard at ATI, and the 4850 is only $110 sitting right next to the GTS 250 but when I saw the new 5770 is a 128-bit path and debuting for $209 at Best Buy I quickly looked elsewhere for a better deal.
PS>
Right angled SATA cables?
I had someone grin real big at me when I asked if they made such a thing 'one that goes out to the side'.
Where can I get one? Thanks.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:36:27 AM

magneezo said:
Sorry...it's just excitement, my question has already been answered in the form of game tests, so I don't need to know if the thing'll outrun an 8800GT anymore.
I'm holding off on Radeon because I really dig the features Nvidia has with the Phys-X and Cuda. It's unbelieveable to me to see family photo's on the Phys-X screensaver getting blown right through. LOL! The images are crystal clear and rotate without a hang.
I'd be looking hard at ATI, and the 4850 is only $110 sitting right next to the GTS 250 but when I saw the new 5770 is a 128-bit path and debuting for $209 at Best Buy I quickly looked elsewhere for a better deal.
PS>
Right angled SATA cables?
I had someone grin real big at me when I asked if they made such a thing 'one that goes out to the side'.
Where can I get one? Thanks.



If you buy your stuff from BestBuy, I suggest newegg.com

They are much cheaper than Bestbuy/any retail stores out there. The only store that comes close in pricing would be the Microcenter I used to work at.


They have the GTS250 for about $110, 4850s for $100, 4870s for $150, 5750s (perform slightly better than a 4850) for $135, and 5770 (performs almost equal to a 48700 for $150
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:37:17 AM

paperfox said:
Maybe these 90 degree angled sata cables will alow you to use the sata ports blocked by your graphics card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

maybe consider the HD 4870 for $140-170 + shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Those are the cables I used.
I had to turn them around basically, the straight ends were hooked into the motherboard.
If I was going to spend anymore $$ on a graphics card it would've been the GTX 260 OC.
Nah. I really don't want to spend a penny over $115. The tax was almost $10 here in NC, that really bit.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:43:39 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
If you buy your stuff from BestBuy, I suggest newegg.com

They are much cheaper than Bestbuy/any retail stores out there. The only store that comes close in pricing would be the Microcenter I used to work at.


They have the GTS250 for about $110, 4850s for $100, 4870s for $150, 5750s (perform slightly better than a 4850) for $135, and 5770 (performs almost equal to a 48700 for $150

I don't usually order PC parts online. I like the convenience of running back to the store if 'whoops, that sucked' happens
If this hadn't worked out today I would've jumped on a GTX 260.
We have nothing here in Charlotte NC to choose from,
and seeing prices online in the past couple of days, well some still want up to $226 for a GTX 260, $189 or more for a 250, and then Best Buy still bloats the price of the 9800GTX to $140.
Best Buy is all we have here now, and ATD-inc.com is our only custom supplier and they don't give deals.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:50:20 AM

magneezo said:
Those are the cables I used.
I had to turn them around basically, the straight ends were hooked into the motherboard.
If I was going to spend anymore $$ on a graphics card it would've been the GTX 260 OC.
Nah. I really don't want to spend a penny over $115. The tax was almost $10 here in NC, that really bit.


THey also have ones with both ends right angled if needed ( Linkie )
Share
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:55:08 AM

Best answer selected by magneezo.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:55:55 AM

JDFan said:
THey also have ones with both ends right angled if needed ( Linkie )

Thanks for the info! That helps alot.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 1:40:37 AM

magneezo said:
I don't usually order PC parts online. I like the convenience of running back to the store if 'whoops, that sucked' happens
If this hadn't worked out today I would've jumped on a GTX 260.
We have nothing here in Charlotte NC to choose from,
and seeing prices online in the past couple of days, well some still want up to $226 for a GTX 260, $189 or more for a 250, and then Best Buy still bloats the price of the 9800GTX to $140.
Best Buy is all we have here now, and ATD-inc.com is our only custom supplier and they don't give deals.


Well, Newegg's customer satisfaction is first rate, and they have a great 30-day refund policy. The money you save there is worth it IMO.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 1:45:24 AM

I think he was talking about having to wait 3-5 days for his item to come in the mail and that you have to pay for return shipping and wait again for them to return a new item. where as with a store you can just drive to it any time and get a replacement in a mere hour or two.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 7:46:55 PM

Here's some photos' of what I was getting into.



I may get flack here about the nest, but honestly those Tt cables are thick as pipes and VERY strong.
Here's the tiny nest the ET has but small as it may be you can cram a good bit in there.

There is room for a longer card, but the Tt 550 only has a 12+v combined rating of 35, when a GTX 260 requires a combined rating of 38.
Not quite enough here unless for some reason I've missed something.
m
0
l
!