Solved

Need advice on 4GB of DDR3 RAM :/

Hey guys. I wanna get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190&cm_re=g.skill_ddr3_sdram_1333_4gb-_-20-231-190-_-Product

However, I hear I shouldn't get this for my gaming rig cause it has a CAS Latency of 9

Now I've heard a lot of crap from people and it was all bull

Is CAS Latency seriously gonna affect my gaming? Is 9 really oh so horrible?

It's 4GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1333 MHz which is natively supported by my MOBO

My mobo is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412&Tpk=gigabyte%20ga-p55a-ud3

I wanna get a trusted brand and if you guys do have a suggestion, hopefully it's not much more expensive than this

Meaning around 10 bucks more at most or so

Any suggestions? Should I keep this one? What effects will a CAS Latency of 9 have?
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice ddr3
  1. What motherboard are you using
  2. Best answer
    Here are some within $10 that have either lower latency or higher speed. I like 1600MHz because it gives greater flexibility on the RAM dividers.
  3. treefrog07 said:
    Here are some within $10 that have either lower latency or higher speed. I like 1600MHz because it gives greater flexibility on the RAM dividers.


    So if I do get 1600, what will I have to do? You think my mobo will automatically recognize it and I wont have to optimize anything or?

    Those black ripjaws look real nice, not pricey, looks cool, G.SKILL, 1333 and it's CAS Latenchy is 7 :D?
  4. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
    If you get 1600 you may have to set it manually in the bios but your board should support it and run it at 1600. As for the latency the 1600 has a higher latency but the voltage is lower and you could get better latency if you increased the voltage or dropped the speed to 1333.
  5. Latency wont effect performance enough to notice. If you are trying to overclock you may be able to get a better OC with lower latency.
  6. reaper2794 said:
    So if I do get 1600, what will I have to do? You think my mobo will automatically recognize it and I wont have to optimize anything or?

    Those black ripjaws look real nice, not pricey, looks cool, G.SKILL, 1333 and it's CAS Latenchy is 7 :D?

    The settings you need to match are on the stickers of the RAM modules. You'll have to enter the BIOS, find the RAM settings, and match the Frequency (1600MHz) and latencies, and then you may have to change the RAM voltage. Save and exit the BIOS.

    1600MHz offers more flexibility in OC settings on the RAM divider; you can OC the CPU, AND keep the RAM at a fairly high frequency.

    I prefer 7-7-7-XX latency, but would not pay an outrageous amount to get it because 8-8-8-XX is not noticeably different - it would only score lower in RAM benchmarking.
  7. Dont forget voltage 1.65v is as high as intel recommends on the i's. I have heard you can safely go higher than that but am a little scared to myself as I have heard of people cooking their socket and CPU doing it. If you can, 1.5v memory to me is the way to go
  8. d1rtyju1c3 said:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
    If you get 1600 you may have to set it manually in the bios but your board should support it and run it at 1600. As for the latency the 1600 has a higher latency but the voltage is lower and you could get better latency if you increased the voltage or dropped the speed to 1333.


    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

    I like the lower CAS Latency and it's 1333 MHz

    d1rtyju1c3 said:
    Latency wont effect performance enough to notice. If you are trying to overclock you may be able to get a better OC with lower latency.


    Im not really gonna be OCing anything but the CPU a few GHz like from 2.66 to 3 or something maybe

    treefrog07 said:
    The settings you need to match are on the stickers of the RAM modules. You'll have to enter the BIOS, find the RAM settings, and match the Frequency (1600MHz) and latencies, and then you may have to change the RAM voltage. Save and exit the BIOS.

    1600MHz offers more flexibility in OC settings on the RAM divider; you can OC the CPU, AND keep the RAM at a fairly high frequency.

    I prefer 7-7-7-XX latency, but would not pay an outrageous amount to get it because 8-8-8-XX is not noticeably different - it would only score lower in RAM benchmarking.


    Yeah like I said above I won't really be OCing the RAM. I'm thinking of getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276 as it's affordable, 1333 MHz and has a CAS Latency of 7

    d1rtyju1c3 said:
    Dont forget voltage 1.65v is as high as intel recommends on the i's. I have heard you can safely go higher than that but am a little scared to myself as I have heard of people cooking their socket and CPU doing it. If you can, 1.5v memory to me is the way to go


    This is 1.5V so it should be fine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276
  9. And, it's within your budget target: "around 10 bucks more at most or so!"
  10. treefrog07 said:
    And, it's within your budget target: "around 10 bucks more at most or so!"


    Yep, you my friend deserve the best answer :)
  11. Best answer selected by Reaper2794.
  12. Thank you. :) I hope you enjoy your build, and that it fires up stable on your first attempt.
  13. Good Luck! [:bohleyk:1]
  14. Thank you gents Ill make sure to do a follow up thread
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Latency Gaming DDR3 Product