Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OC - AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 10, 2012 9:44:43 AM

Hi everyone, so i'm trying to overclock my cpu to get more out of it for gaming, rather than buy an upgrade since i'm limited to my Am3 slot and don't want to change motherboards

So with that out of the way, I'v OCed from 3000mhz - 3300mhz and have my pc running stable, i used only the bus speed and changed the voltage from 1.4 to 1.52 to OC as my multiplyer is locked. ( Using prime95 my max heat is 62c )

Problem is i'v looked online and people are able to get 3.8mhz out of their athlon 640 with a good cooler, i have a stock but it should be just fine, when i pass 220 on the bus speed i get the blue screen no matter the voltage. Also in CPU-Z my HT link speed drops from 2000mhz to 900mhz after overclocking, not sure if that means anything.

Could it be to much heat for it to hanlde, not enough volts, just a bad chip? i'v not OCed the cpu before but i'm good with computers, i used the bios to OC btw, what am i missing?

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00ghz
4gb corsair ram (running at 400mhz?) i think it should be higher
1 tb toshiba HDD
560 TI gpu
510w PSU
MOBO ASrock N68-s3 UCC
Primary use: Gaming

Any questions please ask, thanks in advance


More about : amd athlon 640 00ghz

November 10, 2012 9:55:18 AM

some chips just oc better than others, with the help of cooling and the mothboard, not a "bad chip" unless it fails to perform at STOCK. BTW check if yout mobo BIOS has piledriver support, you'll get a good boost out on an 8320 since you said you're sticking with AM3

edit: typo
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2012 10:09:24 AM

8120 is Bulldozer, not Piledriver.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 10, 2012 10:11:19 AM

abbadon_34 said:
some chips just oc better than others, with the help of cooling and the mothboard, not a "bad chip" unless it fails to perform at STOCK. BTW check if yout mobo BIOS has piledriver support, you'll get a good boost out on an 8120 since you said you're sticking with AM3

Hey there, yeah i realise that but you'd just assume i'd get atleast 3.5mhz out of it and sadly my MOBO only supports 95w, thanks for the reply.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2012 10:12:02 AM

Your mobo is probably the problem, assuming that you're not overheating. No 125W or 140W support means that it's probably got crappy VRM.
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 10:15:46 AM

blazorthon said:
8120 is Bulldozer, not Piledriver.


thanks, time for bed instead beer i suppose (:
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 10:16:07 AM

blazorthon said:
Your mobo is probably the problem, assuming that you're not overheating. No 125W or 140W support means that it's probably got crappy VRM.

Is 62c at max load to much heat, could that be causing the instability?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2012 10:19:21 AM

It's a little high, but it doesn't seem like it's high enough to cause issues.
m
0
l
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2012 1:51:02 PM

Have you lowered the RAM multiplier? It could be the RAM being overclocked thats causing the crash not the CPU. I have used that board 3 times with Athlon II x3s and all 3 have hit 3.6-3.7GHz at 1.475V or less, 1 even unlocked a 4th core and L3 cache but the board temps ran high and it would not overclock with 4 cores.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 2:34:33 PM

With the same board I have experiment good overclocking headroom, putting Athlons II x2 and x4 at 3.6 or more. Even a Athlon II x2 260 could get up to 4.0ghz I have an screanshoot for that :p 

But, well Try lowering the voltage, then put your RAM at auto or 1.5v, if your ram is 1.35 or 1.6 it could be a problem. Also, your HT should be at 2000mhz, not lower, not higher. The NorthBridge should be at max, and it scales with the FSB, 250 fsb its about 2500mhz on northbridge.

Also, Try overclocking with stock voltages and see how it scales, sometimes too much voltage its not good...
m
0
l
November 11, 2012 2:02:54 AM

UPDATE: well it looks like i'v broken it, if i OC my cpu then start my pc it freezes or restarts itself and my games are running at a third of their fps, i'v reset everything to stock in the bios and don't know why, i can still use my pc just not play any games as they run to slow, what could i have done wrong?

epic fail...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2012 2:10:11 AM

open your case, check the smell, look if theres a capacitor broken. Also if the cooler is just too noisy, it means that i just cant stand the heat and the CPU suffers, droping performance for exesive heat built around the processor.

Also you may want to update your bios, or clear it taking out the batery for 5 minutes and then place it back to reset everything. Maybe is not your CPU, it could be drivers or your GPU giving troubles. CPUs are really hard to brick, I have blown motherboards, but CPUs never, never athlons II they just can take so much abuse and still continue working....
m
0
l
November 11, 2012 3:03:33 AM

Nothing smells burnt, no odd odres, no broken capacitor and the heat never passed 62c and idles at 20c maxes at 50c (this is at stock)
I took out the battery for 5 minutes and reset everything and my bios is on the latest version, reinstalled my gpu drivers.
i ran some tests and it seems my CPU is running at half its usual speed, everything else seems fine, maybe i should underclock it a tad?
m
0
l
November 11, 2012 3:04:28 AM

horaciopz said:
open your case, check the smell, look if theres a capacitor broken. Also if the cooler is just too noisy, it means that i just cant stand the heat and the CPU suffers, droping performance for exesive heat built around the processor.

Also you may want to update your bios, or clear it taking out the batery for 5 minutes and then place it back to reset everything. Maybe is not your CPU, it could be drivers or your GPU giving troubles. CPUs are really hard to brick, I have blown motherboards, but CPUs never, never athlons II they just can take so much abuse and still continue working....

Nothing smells burnt, no odd odres, no broken capacitor and the heat never passed 62c and idles at 20c maxes at 50c (this is at stock)
I took out the battery for 5 minutes and reset everything and my bios is on the latest version, reinstalled my gpu drivers.
i ran some tests and it seems my CPU is running at half its usual speed, everything else seems fine, maybe i should underclock it a tad?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2012 7:29:21 AM

Hmm, I would use something like aida64 and check all of your temperatures. Its quite possible overclocking that high on such a basic board with no vrm heatsinks has fried some of the power delivery and it can't get enough voltage thereby running at a lower speed.

This is all speculation of course.
m
0
l
November 11, 2012 11:18:43 AM

mouse24 said:
Hmm, I would use something like aida64 and check all of your temperatures. Its quite possible overclocking that high on such a basic board with no vrm heatsinks has fried some of the power delivery and it can't get enough voltage thereby running at a lower speed.

This is all speculation of course.

Hi mosuse, that sounds very possible and probably is right on the mark, but i just took it one step futher and have killed my mobo i believe, droped my gpus bolt on the mobo, used a metal screw driver to flick it out, noticed power was still, turned it on and bam, not even beeping anymore. guess i will have to buy a new mobo and cpu now D:
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 1:01:18 AM

Not CPU, just get a 2nd hand motherboard and try the processor :/  ! sorry about that. I bricked a motherboard instaling the CPU and destroyed the socket, then anyway i instaled the processor and it turned on, but it crashed as soon as it warmed up, so i remplaced the mobo and the CPU IS still functional. Maybe you are not that unlucky.

m
0
l
November 12, 2012 1:24:33 AM

horaciopz said:
Not CPU, just get a 2nd hand motherboard and try the processor :/  ! sorry about that. I bricked a motherboard instaling the CPU and destroyed the socket, then anyway i instaled the processor and it turned on, but it crashed as soon as it warmed up, so i remplaced the mobo and the CPU IS still functional. Maybe you are not that unlucky.

Thanks for all the help man, good to know someone actually wants to help, i think ill just buy replacements and save time, was time for an upgrade anyhow, i'v posted the build i'm going for on the systems > new build section if you wanna check that out.
m
0
l
!