Sign in with
Your question

Black screen when i turn my computer on

Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2010 9:31:20 PM

Hi! So this afternoon I was downloading an update for my iTunes, and since I have very low virtual memory left on my computer it could not complete. So I tried to cancel it, and then it froze. I was unfortunatly impatient and just turned my computer off due to it freezing. When I went to go turn it back on a few hours later the "Dell" loading screen would show up then dissapear leaving me only with a black/dark blue screen. Help please!!
a c 133 à CPUs
April 19, 2010 11:00:45 PM

Well when you turn a computer off like that it will cause system files to become corrupt and broken. You do that enough windows will just not function you probably have to do a clean install but you might be able to do a repair install first.
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:59:01 PM

I figured so. How do I go about that? And is there any possibility I could have wiped out any of my files.. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
April 20, 2010 12:10:39 AM

All your files should be intacted if you want you can download a bootable linux disk and backup everything before you wipe it out.
m
l
a c 104 à CPUs
April 20, 2010 12:13:40 PM

As SAAIELLO says, just use a Ubuntu CD in live mode to save your stuff to a CD or external drive, then use the Dell recovery option to put it back to the way it was when you got it out of its box.
m
l
April 21, 2010 12:09:08 AM

So in order to get my computer working again I'm going to have to wipe everything out? Sorry-- I guess I'm not as tech-savy as I thought I was!
m
l
!