Dual monitors for dell inspiron 530

blacklab

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hello,
the video (graphics?) card on my dell 530 only has 1 vga port. Can I have 2 monitors by using a splitter, or do I have to get a new card? If card, any suggestions? just basic office use no gaming thanks

blacklab

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
OK, thanks. I'll get exact card info tomorrow at the office and post it here. My monitor has a vga port and a dvi port, and the other monitor just has a vga port.

blacklab

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
The card that is in there was the basic one that came with the 530 - but I'll have the exact info tomorrow. It only has one vga port, if I were to replace it with a card how do you tell which one? I went on tiger direct and amazon and have no clue what is compatible with my computer. $25 is perfect. A friend gave me the monitor, I just want to have my email up on one so I have the other large monitor for workspace without having to switch back and forth all the time to view email.

thanks, Patty

blacklab

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
In device manager, I went under Display Adapters and it says Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

would that be the video card? Can I use dual monitors using that card and a splitter, or do I need to order a new card?

thanks

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
You might not have a graphic card at all. Is the port down in the expansion slots of your computer or up by the keyboard plug? If its at top it means you are currently using integrated graphics--not a card. (integrated takes a little from the CPU and a little of your ram and uses it to run graphics)

The best card for dual monitors on a desktop machine is an ATI 4350. This little card would let you plug one monitor into each port and would run 2 office monitors just fine.
This one is a good deal, but the model you get shouldn't matter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121310&cm_re=4350-_-14-121-310-_-Product

cecijoe

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I have a Dell 530 Inspiron which has the regular VGA monitor plug (into which I've attached monitor 1) and a DVI monitor plug (into which I've attached monitor 2). The problem is that the computer isn't recognizing there's a second monitor attached. I'm on the ignorant end of the tech spectrum, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've had this computer since November 2008 and I've only had one monitor hooked up to it up to this point. I bought the second monitor, but I can't get it to work. Can anyone help?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Can you post your exact system specs? Do you have a graphic card?

If you want more feedback you should start your own thread.