Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2010 1:46:32 AM

Hey Everybody,
First time here, hope you can help.
My system:
Asus A8n SLI deluxe
AMD 64 400+ 2.4 gig
OCZ DDR400 2 matched pairs total 4 gigs
Rosewell 600 watt dual 12v rail 19 amps each.
Evga 8800gt
Asus 24" wide screen 1900x1080
WD 130 gig raptor
HT/Omega sound card.
Win 7 Ult. 64

My main problem is that When I switched over to Win 7 my frame rate drop over half when I play WOW. I have tried several different drivers.Tweak force, Nivida Beta and current released, plus an older one that is in Win 7. Just cant get it to go up. I switch back to XP(on seperate drive) and its back to the high frame rate.
I am looking for several things. 1st what is causing the problem, Can I correct with what I have? If I need to replace parts, what should I replace and with what. I think my video card is ok. I use the system for WOW, Unreal Tourment 3, and the age of Empire series. Plus Digi Photography. I mainly play WOW. I like Nivida and AMD.
I have read it could be driver related or not enough CPU power and mem. WOW is a hog on the resources I am told.
Thanks in advance
Daka
February 4, 2010 1:47:37 AM

Also should I place this in any other forum section here?
Daka
February 4, 2010 2:01:16 AM

Windows 7 will use a bit more of your computers recources, that being you could either blame it on win 7 or on your CPU + memory speed. Im sure if you upgraded to a dual or quad core and got ddr2 800 memory you would see a major performance increase.

How much would you be willing to spend for a new Mobo + CPU + RAM, everything else in your comp should be fine.
Related resources
a c 81 Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 4, 2010 2:08:56 AM

Could you post 3dmark vantage/06 scores in both OS's?

Win 7 will take a few more resources, but if you have 4gigs or higher, you should have the close to the same results in either OS. Losing half your FPS is not normal.
February 4, 2010 2:56:23 AM

I will work on getting the scored
Daka
February 4, 2010 4:01:21 AM

3d mark for Win 7
sm2 2883
sm3 3792
cpu 929

XP tomorrow
Daka
February 8, 2010 1:56:13 PM

Daka,

Prior to migrating to Windows 7 from Windows XP did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?
To determine if your current computer configuration will be compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: http://tinyurl.com/no4xb7

Another resource to verify compatibility is available at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center located at the following link: http://bit.ly/1gW6Ns

Have you updated your graphics controller drivers as well and ensured that the drivers are indeed compatible with Windows 7?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

February 8, 2010 2:48:13 PM

Hi,
yes I did, and it said it was good to go except a card reader and I have had problems with my sound blaster card.
It rated my CPU at 4.3 mem at 4.8,Video card at 6.8.
I have update the drivers, plus have tried different revs.
Thanks in advance for anymore information
Daka
a c 81 Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 8, 2010 3:09:03 PM

Could you run that 3dmark06 in XP? You said you'd get back to us, but never did.

The win 7 rating system doesn't work well with the new 5000 series cards, so I wouldn't trust that.
!