overclockchoc

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hi Ive had my PC for a while now But a few days ago i Installed the XigmaTek Dark Knight - Night Hawk Edition SD128.
Im using the ASUS P8H61-MX mother board
4GB RAM and intel graphics card.
I use CPUID Hardware monitor to check temperature etc and its always around the 30 mark. Take a look
http://gyazo.com/96d9ce3e7efe8d56fdd724427dd86713
All that im wondering is , Would it be possible to overclock my CPU from 3.3ghz to around 4ghz or around that mark, Without frying everything.

Thanks For Replieng in advance

socialfox

Distinguished
Hi there I believe you can't really overclock with that setup because you have a H61 board which does not allow overclocking and your CPU is not of the K series.

Edit: Next time if you want to overclock settle for a Z77 chipset and a K series processor which allow excellent overclocking capabilities. You could always re-use the cooler for another build.

overclockchoc

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Pk thanks for the reply. Just a quick question. Is the Temperature of the CPU ok ?
and also would the cpu be ok for gaming because im planning on installing 16gb RAM and a decent graphics card from around £100

socialfox

Distinguished
For gaming you don't need no more than 8 gb of ram. Try getting 1600mhz for the ram and get 2x4gb sticks to get dual channel. Anyways is that at load or idle? Anyways there seems to be a bit of a problem with the CPU temperature and the core temperatures. Use realtemp to check the temperatures and post it up here again:
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

socialfox

Distinguished
Ok those realtemp temperatures indicate that your CPU is doing fine. Anyways load means when your doing something that uses a real good portion of the CPU such can be gaming or converting a movie. Idle means you are doing nothing such can be leaving the computer on the desktop with nothing really running in the background.

socialfox

Distinguished
So is there anything else you need? Anyways try running prime 95 and let me now the temperatures with that, prime 95 will stress out your CPU a lot so you will get much higher temperatures than idle.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

overclockchoc

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
I will stress test my cpu now , should i keep real temp open to monitor the temp incase it gets too high so i can stop the test? if so how high will i let it reach ?

overclockchoc

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Im getting second monitor around christmas for free as a family member is gettin a bigger tv. They are both same size would i need to buy a certain model of graphics card ?

socialfox

Distinguished
Well for gaming I always recommend discrete video cards. What kind of resolutions are we playing at? Also you want to turn on all the eye candy to the max or is medium-high okay?

overclockchoc

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
medium to high. Hopefully higher than console graphics, Depending on how much i enjoy gaming on a pc im not planning on gaming on it as much as i do on console

socialfox

Distinguished
Well if we are not going to do any rendering, photoshop or any of those fancy stuff you don't technically need 16gb of ram, 8gb will be more than enough. Anyways give me a while to find you a card, this is 100 pounds?

overclockchoc

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
yes it is .. And YES! i play cod and upload videos so i always need to render videos :)
Thanks for helping me out a lot. how can i give you poits or some sort