Question about SSD, Tweaks and Antivirus and Firewalls programs

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I have a few general questions. Hoping someone can help answer them as it would be most appreciated.

I have Corsair Force 3 120GB Solid State Drive I just recently installed in my Sabertooth X58 board. This is the only drive in my system.

I just installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and I have a few questions:

1) I am planning to install Microsoft Security Essentials as my Anti-Virus Program. My main concern is will this program cause any degradation to the drive and its speed?

2) I am also planning to install ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. Again as above my concern is that will this program cause issues for degradation to the drive and its speed as I know Zonealarm does write log files out. Should I simply use the Windows 7 Firewall or is there another suggestion to use?

3) Finally I am planning to use the following two tweak guides listed below and wish to know if there are some tweaks I should not do for this drive? The Disable PageFile for Virutal Memory was kinda of concerning for me as I don't know if I should diable this even though I have 12 GB's of RAM total in my system:

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

and second guide here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-*&p=442158&viewfull=1#post442158

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I tried both of those guides and notice no differnce but my MSFT exp. score went up 0.4 pts...

im not sure of the degradtion but i havent notice any speed concerns with essentials
i do not use zonealarm

hope that helps

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Well as long as Microsoft Security Essentials is good to go ill install that. Here's hoping I get a few more responses to my other questions.

Thanks for the reply.

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Ok I did all the tweaks in the guide mentioned above and I am going to be installing Microsoft Security Essentials.

My last question is it ok to install Zonealarm Free Firewall? Again my concern is will this program cause issues for degradation to the drive and its speed as I know Zonealarm does write log files out each an event occurs.

Hoping someone can help.

Thanks