Phenom II X4 965 (125W)/CM Hyper 212 Plus running a bit hot idle(35c)

Accurim

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I just built a new computer and I find that the CPU is running a bit hot for idle. I'm checking the temperature through the bios and it's at 35c after 25+ minutes or so. I originally used the paste included in the box and it was running at 45c (!!), so I purchased artic silver 5 and reinstalled the cooler and i still find it too hot. Its my first time installing an aftermarket cpu cooler so perhaps I installed it wrong...

Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
CPU: Phenom II x4 965 125W
Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 plus
gpu: Vapor X Radeon HD5770
ram: Gskill 2x2gb f3 12800 CL9D 4gbRL
case: sonata III
psu: antec earthwatts 500WD

Solution
It seems a little hot to me ONLY because its a good aftermarket cooler and I assume cpu is stock speed. But there are other factors such as room temp and case ventilation for example that play in.

That said 35-40 at idle and 60 under sustained 100% load is all perfectly fine for that cpu.
It seems a little hot to me ONLY because its a good aftermarket cooler and I assume cpu is stock speed. But there are other factors such as room temp and case ventilation for example that play in.

That said 35-40 at idle and 60 under sustained 100% load is all perfectly fine for that cpu.

Solution

Budget cooler? Looks like your right. I got headsinks confused. I thought the hyper 212 was that big massive $50 thing.