Solved

Phenom II X4 965 (125W)/CM Hyper 212 Plus running a bit hot idle(35c)

I just built a new computer and I find that the CPU is running a bit hot for idle. I'm checking the temperature through the bios and it's at 35c after 25+ minutes or so. I originally used the paste included in the box and it was running at 45c (!!), so I purchased artic silver 5 and reinstalled the cooler and i still find it too hot. Its my first time installing an aftermarket cpu cooler so perhaps I installed it wrong...

Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
CPU: Phenom II x4 965 125W
Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 plus
gpu: Vapor X Radeon HD5770
ram: Gskill 2x2gb f3 12800 CL9D 4gbRL
case: sonata III
psu: antec earthwatts 500WD
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom 125w hyper running idle
  1. my 955be idles at 39-40c and hits 60c when it's 100% underload. I'm using stock fan and paste though. I did some research and it seems like your speeds are natural.
  2. Best answer
    It seems a little hot to me ONLY because its a good aftermarket cooler and I assume cpu is stock speed. But there are other factors such as room temp and case ventilation for example that play in.

That said 35-40 at idle and 60 under sustained 100% load is all perfectly fine for that cpu.
  3. those temps are fine, dont sweat it.

even with an amazing air cooler you are going to be running about 5-10 degrees above ambient. so with that budget cooler you are getting the results i would expect.
  4. welshmousepk said:
    those temps are fine, dont sweat it.

even with an amazing air cooler you are going to be running about 5-10 degrees above ambient. so with that budget cooler you are getting the results i would expect.

Budget cooler? Looks like your right. I got headsinks confused. I thought the hyper 212 was that big massive $50 thing.
  5. + AS takes a few hours to settle, with multiple on/off heat cycles.
  6. das_stig said:
    + AS takes a few hours to settle, with multiple on/off heat cycles.

+1
  7. Oh okay thanks for the comments, I'll keep an eye on the temps and see if it stays relatively the same.
  8. Best answer selected by Accurim.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling