Solved

To wait or not to wait for Phenom II x6?

Heyoo.

I'm planning on building a gaming machine, which, of course, will have it primarily used for gaming (and almost nothing more, as I have a MacBook Pro for all my other needs).

I plan on purchasing the AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE, but I hear that AMD's Thuban hexa-core processors are due to come relatively soon and that some models are priced at around $240 (something I am willing to pay for for 6 bloody cores).

So that leaves me with 2 questions..

1. About when will we be seeing these CPUs hit the market (primarily the Canadian one, as I live in Canada)?

2. If I'm not mistaken, as these will be AM3 based, which are (so far) compatible with AM2+ boards, I would be able to use a Thuban based processor in an AM2+ motherboard. Correct?

Thanks to anyone who responds! :)
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wait wait phenom
  1. Best answer
    wait for thuban, but if ur just gaming, i would recommend you wait for zosma, it will be a cut down version of thuban with some very friendly thermals, on compatibility, yes it will be compatible with some am2+ boards, but asus and gigabyte are pretty much the only guys to say weather or not their oldies will support thuban, the 2.8ghz clocked thuban at 95w shud be about $240, but if ur interests are primarily gaming, i suggest you go with a quad zosma, the 960t shud b 3.3 or 3.4 ghz, and im sure the price of current quads will decrease as well but the cheapest thuban, the 1035t at 2.6ghz shud b below $200
  2. Best answer selected by SUPER NAME.
  3. xaira said:
    wait for thuban, but if ur just gaming, i would recommend you wait for zosma, it will be a cut down version of thuban with some very friendly thermals, on compatibility, yes it will be compatible with some am2+ boards, but asus and gigabyte are pretty much the only guys to say weather or not their oldies will support thuban, the 2.8ghz clocked thuban at 95w shud be about $240, but if ur interests are primarily gaming, i suggest you go with a quad zosma, the 960t shud b 3.3 or 3.4 ghz, and im sure the price of current quads will decrease as well but the cheapest thuban, the 1035t at 2.6ghz shud b below $200


    Thanks for the answer! :)

    Still, any idea on when the CPUs will be hitting the shelves?
  4. SUPER NAME said:
    Thanks for the answer! :)

    Still, any idea on when the CPUs will be hitting the shelves?


    Well, if my info is still correct, is should be next week on the 26.
  5. dont know about canada specifically, but since the usa is so close, im guessing it will be a simultaneous release
  6. warmon6 said:
    Well, if my info is still correct, is should be next week on the 26.


    Any idea if this street date includes Canada?
  7. warmon6 said:
    Well, if my info is still correct, is should be next week on the 26.


    Thats the word, though it is not official as far as I know. But given Bios updates for MB's have been available for a month now and Amazon is already taking pre-release orders, thats what I am going with.

    It would be consistant with AMD's recent soft launch approach.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Phenom