Will this Work Water cooling for GPu Gtx 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
The water cooler, although not the best solution for the money (but not a bad price either), will work to cool your CPU. It will have very little to no influence on your ability to overclock your GPU. I recall seeing an all-in-one that would do both a GPU and CPU but it has been a while... Here's one (comes with the GPU though)
http://compare.ebay.com/like/380486729536?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Hope it helps some

With the amount of power that 480 would guzzle, you'd probably be better off selling it and buying a good 7950 instead of the water cooler, lol. Good 7950s don't need aftermarket cooling to reach huge overclocks.

Example:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr795wf33gd
I'd expect a good 30-40% overclock in performance out of that model even on its stock cooler and it's already a fairly well factory-overclocked model despite being priced at under MSRP IIRC.

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
lol ya I was gonna get me a newer card here next year gonna think bout getting the 79** verison XFX Card or maybe a GTX 670 Gpu!!! but right now I have enough $$ to get me Water cooling for my Cpu so I can OC more!!! & Was wanting to get one outta this Graphic card I mean its really a good card runs all my Games on Ultra setting with the Gigabyte G1 SNiper M3 mobo gives me more FPS... I wanted to get a water cooling for it since it heats up so much lol

I just wanted to get one so I can overclock it for more Performance Next yr imma get me a new whole system so ya lol.... Will this work & what pieces would I need to do this since this is my first time doing this on GPU

With just a little modding skills of course it will work, it would be best to keep the VR and Memory chip cooling heat sink plate in place so you do not disturb the mounting of the thermal pads under it, (Thermal pads are not to be reused they should always be replaced.), and you will have to supply airflow over the heat sink plate even though you'll be water cooling the GPU itself you still need to air cool the the VR and Memory plate of the 480GTX.

You'll have to become very resourceful as the Antec KUHLER H2O 620, was not designed to fit a GPU at all, but some have accomplished it using nylon wire ties and a little ingenuity it's far from the best solution to cool your 480GTX which is a full coverage water block, but it should give you at least an approximately 30c lower load temperature, if you do it right.

Good Luck! Ryan

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
oh ya how much is it for that water block & all that other stuff?? like that glow raditor thing that glows up & tubes goes from cpu to gpu & all that stuff?? Cause I was thinking bout building one of those but not sure on what all Pieces I need to do the job lol?

Unfortunately for you finding a full coverage water block for a 480GTX is next to impossible, one of the last stocking them was Danger Den and they've closed up shop.

If you're becoming interested in water cooling check out our THGF sticky > http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky < all you'll need to know is in there regarding traditional closed loop water cooling.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.