Would like to add an SSD to my system need help!

adam1712

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hi guys, a good few months back now i built my first system and since its not caught fire yet i think i did okay!

Any way i have been looking to add an SSD to keep my OS and programs/games on, heres my current relevent specs...

MB: P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: i7 2600K
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black

Im confident that i can install a new SSD i just dont have a clue where to start to go about moving my main system on to it,

Will this require a complete reinstall of all my programs etc? What settings do i need to change/set? How do i set up all the relevent cache boosts etc that my MB and CPU claim to be able to do?

I was looking at getting just a 64GB but for the price i think i would go for a 120GB (I have only used about 200GB on my current HDD and that obviously includes music/movies...

So anything that you can think of that i would need to do both when installing and once i have it in will be greatly appreciated, i dont want to waste my money on one of these things if im not going to set it up right to have it make as much difference as possible!

Thanks

adam1712

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Okay... I have an OEM version of Win7 so how do i go about this? From what iread i dont think i will have a problem as i am using the same motherboard is this correct? Thanks

johnhyman

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Change the BIOS to make the SSD drive the primary HDD. Then run the Windows 7 from the disk as a new installation. It will place Windows on the SSD (or ask to you to select the drive) and boot from that because you have made that the primary HDD in BIOS.

Your existing Caviar drive will still be accessible for apps, file retrieval, and storage. And if you leave ty6our app's and files there you won't have to repoint the apps to where the files are.

The fact that you have an OEM version does not matter you will still be able to install the OS on the new drive. If it doesn't do the automatic way with putting in the key code and says you have to call that is just another way they want you to do it and it's all automated and easy to do.
If you make a system image of your OS then you can install Windows on the SSD and the restore from backup to have all your data put on the new drive.
You can only use the SSD cache with a SSD of 64gb or lower and by useing a SSD as your boot drive there is no reason to have a SSD cache anyway because there would be no benefit to haveing a SSD cache another SSD. The cache boost you are refering to is if you want to use a small SSD for a cache to a larger regular mechanical hdd. (Intel RST)

Will this require a complete reinstall of all my programs etc? What settings do i need to change/set? How do i set up all the relevent cache boosts etc that my MB and CPU claim to be able to do?

How did you set up the HD ? If you partitioned the HD with the OS alone on C:\ and games, programs, data etc on other partition(s), this is cake. Consider .....

C:\OS
D:\Page and Temp files
E:\Games
F:\Programs
G:\Backups

That's prolly more partitions than most installations but went all out to make a point or two:

1. That heirarchy is set up such that the things you want to be the fastest are on the outer edge of the platters and the stuff that ya don't care about speed is on the inner part of the platters. Since the outer edge is twice as fast as the inner, you gain significant performance advantages, especially as system ages.

2. Add an SSD and you simply install the OS to the SSD with HD disconnected. When done, plug it back in.

a) This way you have the original Windows install as a backup in case the OS gets fudged on the SSD.
b) You simply install games and programs over themselves to set up registry entries in the SSD Windows install....this keeps all your game and program customizations intact.

I was looking at getting just a 64GB but for the price i think i would go for a 120GB (I have only used about 200GB on my current HDD and that obviously includes music/movies...

Good idea. I won't do a build w/ a 64 GB SSD anymore for someone who is not an astute Windows user as they invariably bring the machine back in 6 months cause ts filled with Windows Update uninstall files, e-mails, temp files and other junk.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Go for it. Depending on where you live just check the sales. And the day you pull the trigger on a great deal double check everybody else's site. Most sites will price match. Don't be too picky about brand or even controller. Wait for a sale and then google it.

NCIX is generally great for Canadian hardware
Sites like HARDocp often have hardware roundup deals (for US residents) but most come out of NEWegg anyway.

I bought an intel 320 160gb for $160 CAN 'after rebate' (CAN and US are par right now). I know it's 'just' a 320 but I always wanted one. Call me a fanboy.

Get the SSD. Set it up using one of the SSD guides with INTEL RST installed, etc. As everyone has said you can use your OEM win7 cd to load it. If you are truly using the same computer the worst thing that will happen is that you have to call the 800 number and tell them.

After it all you will have both the SSD and the HDD in sata ports and you can use your BIOS to switch between boot discs if necessary. Eventually, it is REALLY nice to format the HDD and get rid of the ugly windows file structure. Just double protect your data when doing that.

You'll never go back to a spinning OS drive.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Install your SSD, disconnect your hard drive, power on, make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI instead of IDE, install Windows and the newest version of Intel's RST drivers, power off and reconnect your hard drive, power on again and make sure your SSD is set as the primary boot drive in BIOS. Now you may install your other software to the SSD if you wish. That's it, you're done. There may be one or two extra steps in there, but they should help you avoid problems.

After installation, you can further optimize your SSD by following the directions on the page below:
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

Instead of disabling your pagefile as the article suggests, I recommend moving it to your hard drive as it can prevent some Blue Screens.