Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My overclock has vanished

Last response: in Overclocking
November 11, 2012 4:24:00 AM

I had been running my E6400 at 2.4Ghz. It used to be fine and it has been sometime since I looked on the speeds. I did it the other day and saw it was back to 2.13 so I went into the Bios and put it back to 2.4. All was good...until I rebooted and it was back to 2.13. And again and again :ouch: . I've looked around but cannot seem to find anything to explain why it won't hold the OC setting through a reboot.

What am I missing?

Thanks

More about : overclock vanished

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2012 4:52:19 AM

if the settings in the bios have been reverting back you may have a flat bios battery. Easy to replace at your local radio electronics store.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2012 4:53:50 AM

Picture of cmos battery. It is the life support for the bios.
November 11, 2012 7:02:51 PM

Ah completely forgot about that. It's an old computer so that is very likely the cause. I'll open it up later when I have time and get the battery kind and go get a replacement during the week

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2012 9:18:02 PM

you're welcome, let us know if that was the problem :) 
November 19, 2012 7:59:21 PM

Finally got around to changing the battery, unfortunately that isn't the problem so I'm back to square 1
November 19, 2012 8:10:16 PM

Nope nevermind, went into the Bios again and now the O/C settings are there so it does seem that it was a battery issue. I tried the quick way the first time and those settings didnt seem to hold so I went back into the bios on reboot and tried again and it now has the original OC setting back
November 19, 2012 8:11:00 PM

Best answer selected by DiverDave.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2012 10:06:30 PM

Great, the system recognizes the new battery and cmos has reengaged the bios settings it was last adjusted to before losing power.

Glad it worked out and thanks for best answer.
!