Your question

Tower build $2K AUD

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2010 2:27:04 AM

Hi all,

Been a while, have just had a friend ask me to put together a tower for ~$2k....just looking for some advice/suggestions on the build I have thrown together. Thinking about my balance between parts as well, hoping to not be bottlenecking majorly at any point. Thanks

Here are my thoughts so far:

MOBO eVGA P55 SLI MOTHERBOARD $239

CPU Intel Core i5 750 (OC to ~ 3.33ghz) $245

RAM GEIL 4GB KIT BLACK DRAGON C8 DDR3 1600MHZ $159

GRAPHICS Leadtek GeForce GTX 295 $659

PSU CORSAIR 750W HX-750 $219

SOUND CREATIVE X-FI XTREME GAMER $99 (Optional)

HDD 2 x WD CAVIAR BLACK 500GB Raid 0 $138

OPTICAL LITE-ON DVD RW 24x BK/ +/-/DL/SATA $29

COOLING Noctua NH-U9B-SE2 $69

CASE COOLERMASTER HAF RC-932 $219

TOTAL $2,075

More about : tower build aud

February 12, 2010 2:20:47 PM

No idea on prices over there, but here are some changes. Might also want to add what the computer will be used for.

Mobo: EVGA is really expensive, and doesn't offer you that much. I'd recommend going with the Asus P7P55D-E Pro.

RAM: Try to get some C7 sticks. They should be about the same price. Check out G.Skill, Corsair and OCZ to compare prices.

GPU: Bad, bad decision. Unless you direly need CUDA or PhysX, nVidia is a horrible option. You should be looking at either the HD 5870 or HD 5970.

Sound: I wouldn't get a discrete card. It's a waste of money.

HDD: See if you can find a single Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. RAID 0 sounds good in theory, but unless you're prepared to completely rebuild your data and reinstall everything, don't bother with it. If you're still set on doing RAID, get two Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. Both drives will be faster than the WDs and they're generally cheaper. If you can't find the F3s, get the Seagate 7200.12 in the same sizes.

Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212. It's better and cheaper.

Case: The HAF 922 is a lot cheaper, and almost as big. It will certainly fit any GPU you can find.
February 12, 2010 10:01:51 PM

MadAdmiral said:
No idea on prices over there, but here are some changes. Might also want to add what the computer will be used for.

Mobo: EVGA is really expensive, and doesn't offer you that much. I'd recommend going with the Asus P7P55D-E Pro.

RAM: Try to get some C7 sticks. They should be about the same price. Check out G.Skill, Corsair and OCZ to compare prices.

GPU: Bad, bad decision. Unless you direly need CUDA or PhysX, nVidia is a horrible option. You should be looking at either the HD 5870 or HD 5970.

Sound: I wouldn't get a discrete card. It's a waste of money.

HDD: See if you can find a single Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. RAID 0 sounds good in theory, but unless you're prepared to completely rebuild your data and reinstall everything, don't bother with it. If you're still set on doing RAID, get two Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. Both drives will be faster than the WDs and they're generally cheaper. If you can't find the F3s, get the Seagate 7200.12 in the same sizes.

Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212. It's better and cheaper.

Case: The HAF 922 is a lot cheaper, and almost as big. It will certainly fit any GPU you can find.

Thanks for that, pc is going to be used almost solely for gaming.

I like the mobo it's $60 cheaper and is basically identical. The 922 case is only $35 cheaper, I'll go and check them both out at the store and see which I like best. Will most likely ditch the soundcard unless he really wants it too.

Found some C7 G.Skill sticks for the same price, and did some research on the Spinpoint F3's and will go with them too. With the raid-0 it's a new system build (new OS) so the whole rebuild and install doesn't realy factor in.

The one thing that I'm not sure with is the GPU, the price over here are $529 for the 5870 & $1,089 for the 5970. Looking at the toms charts the 295 will peform a decent bit better in most games than the 5870 and for only $120 more. The 5970 is just way too expensive. What do you reckon?

Anyway thanks heaps for the help, made some good changes to the config so far.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 12, 2010 10:11:42 PM

One of the reasons why I think that the 5870 is the way to go is because it uses less power than a 295 (as well as run cooler) so you could crossfire 5870s on that Corsair PSU whereas it would not be advisable to do it with either a 295 or 5970. You'd have to be playing on a pretty monstrous resolution to need more than a 5870. Is the 'bit better in most games' the difference between playable framerates and not? Things to consider my friend.
February 12, 2010 10:33:53 PM

Another thing to point out is that many games on the benchmarks are games that are optimized to run better on nVidia. You should really check out benchmarks on the games you can play.

I also agree with everything Silvune said.