Overclocking First Time- i5-3570k

thebeetrootman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hey Guys, this will be my first OC.

Yesterday I just built my PC and I thought I may as well overclock my CPU. I have the i5-3570k, Corsair H60, Asus P8Z77-V Mobo and a 600w PSU.

Any of you guys got some tips. I'm not looking for a major overclock, just to perhaps 3.5-6Ghz at first. I don't want to have to change the voltage.

Thanks!

Ooh, I'm sorry. The H-60 was a mistake - it gets out cooled by any sort of comparable air cooler, and it's a LOT more likely to fail, and even more likely to break parts when it does fail, because 1) it has more moving parts, 2) it's filled with liquid, and 3) if it does fail, it doesn't have a huge metal heatsink to prevent the processor from overheating faster than it can throttle down.

That being said, go into your bios.

Find CPU frequency.

Set it to whatever number you want. A 3570k should be able to go up to 4.2GHz without changing voltages if you got a somewhat decent chip.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
There is no such thing as a budget water cooling system. You either spend a lot, or get sub-par performance compared to air coolers. Water cooling's main advantage is that you can use a bigger and/or several heatsinks without tearing the CPU socket or GPU's PCI-E slot off of the motherboard.