user and password on start up

Bud

I found the following supposedly helpful hint at
Disabling startup login prompt for password

1. Click Start, and Run
2. Type "Control Userpasswords2" and press enter.
3. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to
use this computer."
4. Click Apply and Ok.

I want to eliminate the need to press "Enter" during startup. My Compac
Presario 8000 originally did not require this step but after restoring
my system a few months ago it has always required it. I followed the
instructions above and my machine would not boot. I got the message,
"You are unable to log on because of an account restriction." There
didn't seem to be any way to get past it. Finally I got it booted into
Safe mode and tried to restore to an earlier date which was unsuccesful.
I did several things but did not keep a log so I have no idea what
allowed me to boot up but I can. However, I am back to needing to click
on the user icon to start. Can anyone instruct me as to how I can
bypass the need to enter a password and press "Enter"? I have restored
the system before and did not have his difficulty. Obviously the
password is easily dispensed with by not entering one but the use of
"Enter" remains. What must I do to get it to boot up without the need
for my intervention as it did when it was new (all of three years ago)?
OS is Win XP SP2. Processor is AMD Athlon 2000+ and I have roughly 30
Gigabytes of free space on my HD and 256 Megs Ram. BTW, the box
(Number 3 above) is unchecked and I still have the need to use "Enter".
--
Bud

null

Bud wrote:

> I found the following supposedly helpful hint at
> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000536.htm
> Disabling startup login prompt for password
>
> 1. Click Start, and Run
> 2. Type "Control Userpasswords2" and press enter.
> 3. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to
> use this computer."
> 4. Click Apply and Ok.
>

> I want to eliminate the need to press "Enter" during startup. My Compac
> Presario 8000 originally did not require this step but after restoring
> my system a few months ago it has always required it. I followed the
> instructions above and my machine would not boot. I got the message,
> "You are unable to log on because of an account restriction." There
> didn't seem to be any way to get past it. Finally I got it booted into
> Safe mode and tried to restore to an earlier date which was unsuccesful.
> I did several things but did not keep a log so I have no idea what
> allowed me to boot up but I can. However, I am back to needing to click
> on the user icon to start. Can anyone instruct me as to how I can
> bypass the need to enter a password and press "Enter"? I have restored
> the system before and did not have his difficulty. Obviously the
> password is easily dispensed with by not entering one but the use of
> "Enter" remains. What must I do to get it to boot up without the need
> for my intervention as it did when it was new (all of three years ago)?
> OS is Win XP SP2. Processor is AMD Athlon 2000+ and I have roughly 30
> Gigabytes of free space on my HD and 256 Megs Ram. BTW, the box
> (Number 3 above) is unchecked and I still have the need to use "Enter".

Try this:

1. Open Control Panel > Users and Passwords and uncheck the box 'Users
must supply a Username and Password to log on'

2. If you want to login as the Administrator (not recommended practice),
open the registry and make the following edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

And change the AutoAdminLogon value from “0” to “1”

3. Or, look here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866

4. Or, look here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315231

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

Bud

null wrote:
> Bud wrote:
>
>> I found the following supposedly helpful hint at
>> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000536.htm
>>
>> Disabling startup login prompt for password
>>
>> 1. Click Start, and Run
>> 2. Type "Control Userpasswords2" and press enter.
>> 3. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password
>> to use this computer."
>> 4. Click Apply and Ok.
>>

>> I want to eliminate the need to press "Enter" during startup. My
>> Compac Presario 8000 originally did not require this step but after
>> restoring my system a few months ago it has always required it. I
>> followed the instructions above and my machine would not boot. I got
>> the message, "You are unable to log on because of an account
>> restriction." There didn't seem to be any way to get past it.
>> Finally I got it booted into Safe mode and tried to restore to an
>> earlier date which was unsuccesful. I did several things but did not
>> keep a log so I have no idea what allowed me to boot up but I can.
>> However, I am back to needing to click on the user icon to start. Can
>> anyone instruct me as to how I can bypass the need to enter a password
>> and press "Enter"? I have restored the system before and did not have
>> his difficulty. Obviously the password is easily dispensed with by
>> not entering one but the use of "Enter" remains. What must I do to get
>> it to boot up without the need for my intervention as it did when it
>> was new (all of three years ago)? OS is Win XP SP2. Processor is AMD
>> Athlon 2000+ and I have roughly 30 Gigabytes of free space on my HD
>> and 256 Megs Ram. BTW, the box (Number 3 above) is unchecked and I
>> still have the need to use "Enter".
>

> Try this:
>
> 1. Open Control Panel > Users and Passwords and uncheck the box 'Users
> must supply a Username and Password to log on'
>
> 2. If you want to login as the Administrator (not recommended practice),
> open the registry and make the following edit:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
>
> And change the AutoAdminLogon value from “0” to “1”
>
> 3. Or, look here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866
>
> 4. Or, look here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315231

Sorry to say but my Control Panel does not have A selection named "Users
and Passwords"; only "Users" and there is no such box 'Users
> must supply a Username and Password to log on'. I am the only user
on my machine so making he registry change would not accomplish anything
for me. I already have administrator privileges.

--
Bud

null

Bud wrote:

> Sorry to say but my Control Panel does not have A selection named "Users
> and Passwords"; only "Users" and there is no such box 'Users
> > must supply a Username and Password to log on'. I am the only user
> on my machine so making he registry change would not accomplish anything
> for me. I already have administrator privileges.

There is a user called Administrator, you just aren't aware of it. If
you make the registry change I suggested it should work.