Sign in with
Your question

When should I be worried...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2010 4:45:57 AM

My computer is as follows: Core 2 Quad, q9550, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo, Thermaltake case with 2 240mm fans and 2 120mm fans, Nvidia GTS 250 (I know), 2 WD 1TB HDD, 4 GB of RAM at 800mhz, Arctic cooler Freezer 7 92mm CPU fan, and a DVD drive.

I want to know at what temperature, Celsius or Fahrenheit, I should be worried about my CPU. I know it is rated for 71.4 degrees C but as I know you can often push things beyond what they are rated for and not do any damage. That's the whole principal behind Overclocking, right? So at what temperature should I be worried and perhaps invest in a new CPU fan or other means of cooling. I never got Overclocking to work because I couldn't find a how-to for overvoltage, so I'm not overclocking.

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : worried

April 20, 2010 5:08:47 AM

You do NOT want your CPU to hit 71 degrees Celsius. Max rated temp should not be hit. You want to keep your temps under load under 65 Celsius (give or take a few)
April 20, 2010 5:19:40 AM

Great. Well, my computer is still running, so it isn't fried yet.
Related resources
April 20, 2010 5:57:27 AM

keep it under 79 and you should be fine, mine been running for over 2 years now it does reach 78 sometimes at full load and still working stable, whats your temps so far?
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2010 6:47:48 AM

Prolonged use of the CPU at those temps can lead to it getting fried and a shorter life.
If it's already running at 71C at Idle without load, then you do have a problem already.
Check to see if the original Heat-sink and fan are placed and working properly. The temp. should not be so high at idle running.
Try to change the thermal paste and get the temps down.
The Cooler you have for the CPU is a pretty good one, it shouldn't be allowing you to reach these temps.
Check to see if it is seated properly on the processor and is in contact with the face, also check and see if your fins below the fan are not clogged.
If so clean it all up.
Give us a reading then.....
According to me, you ought to be worried now......
April 20, 2010 7:46:52 AM

Yeah, I had a major problem. the thermal paste wasn't evenly applied and as a result when I ran a sensor test with Prime95 one core reached 99 degrees C. Needless to say that was bad, cancelled it, opened my rig to find the problem, fixed it, and now when I ran the same test it never went over 78. Thanks to the first poster for setting me straight, and thanks to all the rest of you for responding.
a c 172 à CPUs
April 20, 2010 4:46:25 PM

I have a Q9550 running at 3.6 GHz. at a P95 load temp of 58 - 61 C.

I really recommend that you go into the PC Health tab of the BIOS and set the thermal alarm to go off at 70 C.
April 21, 2010 12:57:09 AM

What fan do you guys recommend? I live in a desert so my room temp is likely to get quite hot in a few weeks and I want to make sure I'm prepared. Should I go all out and get a water cooled system, I'm loathe to put liquids near my components. Any heat sinks that are especially good? Please help, my brother will be coming back soon and he will want to play crysis, I don't want my computer to meld down on him.
April 21, 2010 12:59:56 AM

"Quite hot" read=85-90 degrees F. My room gets the hottest out of the whole house.
April 21, 2010 1:19:12 AM

Also, a good High Performance thermal paste would helpful.
April 21, 2010 6:30:22 AM

Ok, it's really fixed this time. Never went above 53 deg C. Thanks you guys for all the help, and for putting up with my ignorance. I really appreciate it.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2010 8:19:51 AM

You're welcome, but it's good to close the topic and a good answer tag is always an added perk.....:) 
!