I restored my netbook to original hp settings now it won\'t startup

daisy57

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hi, can anyone help please? I restored my hp mini netbook to the original hp settings and now it won't start up. It just gives a message saying bootmgr is compressed press alt ctrl del to restart but each time it just gives me the same message!

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

If you used an HP CD to revert to factory settings, put it in again and see if it includes a repair option. If it's a Windows XP CD it will definitely have that facility. Either way, if you can get to a Command Prompt - try tapping Function 8 as you power up the machine and see if you get the Advanced Boot menu - try typing this at the C:\ prompt

expand bootmgr temp then press Enter and at the next C:\ prompt, type

attrib bootmgr -s -r -h and press Enter again,. Restart and post back what happened next.

daisy57

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Thank you but no luck- can't get it to a C:\ prompt. didn't use an hp CD - netbook doesn't have a disk drive. Did it with Roxio the preinstalled program on the netbook.

No luck with Safe Mode either? I can't see how Roxio could manage that but it explains a thing or two. Unfortunately, you're going to have to borrow a USB external CD ROM and an XP CD. The alternative would be to remove the hard disk and ask someone to slave it to another computer to carry out the DOS commands I wrote above.

This is probably something best left to a local professional, I'm afraid.

daisy57

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Think I'll stick with the professional then. Thank you for your advice and help.