Soundboard problem?

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Hi!
I have a problem with recording by mic.
I have an MSI intel p35 Neo with built in sound board (realtek HD audio thingy).

First of all, nothing is muted in either realtek HD audio or the control panel, ive tried both the pink 3mm slots for a mic and an USB headset. Still can noone hear me on skype and my Soundrecorder doesnt record anything (once it recorded same stuff as my speakers played). What can be the problem of this? has the soundcard broke or what? i mean it did work the day before yesterday.

So what shall i do?

thanks for any advice!

If you switch back and forth between on-board & USB then verify the Mic/Recording Device matches-up with the appropriate input. e.g. if the USB can become the default input while you're trying to input via the MOBO.

What OS are you running?

Also, if you disabled e.g. part of the Realtek startup then this can cause a problem.

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

Running Vista premium 32bit, i know how to set something to standard and not and mute etc, this is not the case

I have not disabled any of Realtek by purpose at least, and it seem to be running fine...

So well, dunno what to do

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

I just formated the HDD, installed all the latest drivers and still no sound, i guess il buy a new card tomorrow.

^ Sometimes either an on-board NIC or on-board Sound can fail to initialize properly for a variety of reasons; if this happens the registry for the on-board device "can" be corrupted.

Solved - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280400-30-870a-sound
Link 1 - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000208.htm
Link 2 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929251
Link 3 - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/aa0ad10d-eb58-446c-a3cd-786db59794e5

===========================
Advanced - AT YOUR OWN RISK - BACKUP REGISTRY

run REGEDIT
Ctrl + F realtek
delete ALL primary KEY entries -> F3 to next
restart
Reinstall all realtek drivers

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

But I still don't get it, Should a just hrs ago formated computer have reigistry problems? I mean can registry stuff is stored on the HDD, right? or?

^ This "problem" can be an intermittent problem - meaning even if you fix it the very next time you reboot you "can" be back to square 1. The underlying problem is ~ the MOBO itself. Also, do not install ANY MSI utilities {except Afterburner}.

You did the right steps, and I probably shouldn't have confused you - my apologies. I often beat a dead horse.

Bottom line, the HT | OMEGA STRIKER is the best choice, or your budget. On almost all of my gaming rigs I never use the on-board sound - too much noise.

Footnote: there is no such a thing a perfect registry or a HDD w/o errors.

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

Ahh, well, So i guess somethings on the motherboard broke, anyway, the rest of the sound works fine, the only thing that doesnt work is the mic... So, I'm probably going for cheapest possible and use it for mic only, and keep my soundsystem n headset on the usual slots...

Or does the mic need that good of a sound board?

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

As i've tried the mic on other computers and it works fine thats not the case...

Il just buy a new card tomorrow and hope it works out

Thanks for all help man!

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

dude, lol,

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

dude what are u talking about, it isnt the headset, it works on other computers, it has to be slots, but since USB headset didnt work its obviously something in the MOBO that has broke

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

explain a little better, exactly what u mean and why? u are extremely confusing atm :p

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

It's obviously not that (tried) its probably A. mic diabled in BIOS (although i hear there are no such option) or B. something broken on the MOBO

Generally, a sound card either works or doesn't work and not 1/2 work. However, most of the time as I said, "switch back and forth between on-board & USB" can cause a problem in the settings/registry/or configurations.

XP Example
Sound_XP.jpg