Long black screen before post

Sighouf

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Every time i turn on my PC i get "no DVI signal detected (That is probably not an exact message)" for about 30 - 60 seconds after that i hear a beep and my PC starts booting.

This started happening after i replaced a broken Graphics card.

About 5 days after this first happened that graphics card died and after the black screen a got a beep code witch said that either the card was installed improperly or there was something wrong with the memory. So i returned the card and they told me it was broken and i got a new one.(I dont know if its important or not)

But its still taking me about 30-60 to get the post running and its annoying the crap out of me.
Anyone have an idea what might be wrong.

Specs:
Cpu: Intel E8400
Ran: 4gb (2x2gb)
Old graphics card was 8800gts
New one ATI Radeon 5750
Mobo: Asus p5n e-sli.
Psu: 800w from gigabyte called Odin.

cooltothemax

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
just a bad motherboard with incompatible graphic card

Hi, i just wanted to share my bad experience with asus, so you guys know. I'm a P5N-E SLI owner who experienced problem with newly acquired ATI graphic card.

So here's my conversation with asus support (all copy paste, no modifications!)

ME: [Problem Description]
When i boot my computer, i got no signal to my monitor (4 beeps), then if i hit reset
after the windows startup sound, computer reboot and it works. Problem started when
i bought my video card, but this motherboard is supposed to be compatible, i've check
before buying.

And when i do a research on internet, i find lots of peoples with exact same problem
as me with same motherboard, but not always same video card. Anything i could do?

ASUS: Hello
In this situation,please move the video card to another PCIe slot to see if the same
problem.
If no effort,please clear CMOS and try again.

ME: Hi, i've switched my video card to another pcie, but as soon as i've boot, there was 4
beeps. And it never worked, even after rebooting. So i have put back the video card to
original slot. I cleared CMOS, but didnt work neither. Any other suggestion? It is
supposed to be compatible with ATI graphics...

ASUS: In this situation, please first try to have a further check with your vendor, if possible. If this is not possible, you will need to contact our RMA department for assistance as follows:
1) If you have Internet access, you can visit this website:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx
to request an RMA.
Please include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and the serial number of your product.
2) Also, you could call our RMA department at 812-282-2787 (Hours: 5:30am ?9:00pm(PST) support) select option 2 then option 2. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product handy when you call.

ME: mb wont boot with new ati video card, 5850, gotta press reset to make it work

ASUS: Unfortunately according to your serial number you are out of warranty as of Aug 2010.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

ME: i understand that i am not under warranty, perhaps, my motherboard isnt broken, it is
just not doing what it is supposed to do. If you buy something that is supposed to do
a thing, and that in fact cant, then why say it can? It would be actually fraudulous, I am
not trying to do crossfire, i am not stupid, this is a sli mb, i am only trying to do a single
pcie x16 ATI video card. If you tell me again that i am out of warranty, i'll make sure to
post on every forums about this problem what you have replied to me, as stupid as it
is written, and make sure i'll never buy from asus again, same for my friends and
family. I got 4 computers at home, mostly asus. I hope it is now clear. If you think you
cant handle this, then please ask your boss. There is no such thing in the asus
website where it says this motherboard doesnt support ATI video cards.

ASUS: Then you will need to submit a ticket for tech support or call the tech support line at 812-282-2787 opt 2. I have pasted a link below to submit a ticket online. Have a nice day!

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

ME: after buying an ATI Radeon 5850, i got lots of problems with my p5n-e sli. When i boot my computer, i gotta press reset to at windows startup to make my computer works. I have reseted cmos, tried the other pci-e slot, but nothing works. I have already contacted asus support, then asus rma, who told me to get to you again (see the conversation following this). Any idea or solutions?

Still unanswered, after more than 2 weeks...

I hope you have read this, i'm getting annoyed with this...

cya
Max