Is the 5830 still due out tomorrow 5th Feb

Title says it all really,
Not sure if its released tomorrow why there have been no reviews, seems stupid to have an NDA on a card that's going in the middle of an established line up, wonder what major new addition/ surprise can be causing such secrecy

Mactronix

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

No more news on the matter. I don't believe we will see anything special with this card. Even from the name we realize it is between the 5770 and the 5850 so nothing special. Only an attractive choice for those who want similar performance with the 4890 and DX11.

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Last I heard it isn't coming out 'til Feb. 16th now.

If the card has decent OC capabilities, I might end up buying one in a month or two when they wont cost $100000 dollars more than they should currently.

That is of course assuming Fermi isn't a giant fail-boat and ruins the whole graphics industry pricing war...........

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I wonder what were the problems that delayed the card.
I barely resist buying a 5xxx card :(. I want to, but a new monitor will suffice for now. Maybe when the 68xx come I will buy a new card.

Well last i read was an issue with the boards that pushed it back to the 5th, now the 16th if RealityRush has reliable info. :(
just want to weigh it up as i dont need 5850 performance and the 5770 isnt that special. At this rate its going to be a scaled down fermi that finally hits the performance sector im looking at. :lol:

Mactronix

Think it is more of a profits move - they figure with sales of the 5850 doing so well and the supply of them just barely starting to keep up with the demand better to wait awhile longer before bringing out the slightly slower\lower priced competitor that may switch some users to it vs. the higher cost 5850 ! Once the 5850 is no longer selling as quickly as they make them there will be more incentive to bring out the 5830 to pick up the sales of those that didn't want to spend the extra $ to get the 5850 while it was the only option. Plus the delay also keeps the 5770 at a higher price point since it is the only option if the 5850 is too much so they also make more profit on it since they can still sell them at a higher price until the 5830 comes out to make the price\performance no longer look as good. So really the delay makes them more profits on the 2 cards they already released and until Nvidia releases FERMI and there is some outside competition it really doesn't make sense for them to release the 5830 and cut sales of their other products that have a larger margin.

Or it's a profit move, you decide. After all it's not like anyone anywhere has mentioned anything about ever having issues with any 5 series card, ever. :whistle:

I personally think they just found out that the card outperforms the price point they have it targeted at and so are holding it while they lock some more SP's out in the firmware.

Its reported to be a Cypress core that has been binned. And also that it will perform at around the 4890 level.
I'm going to be interested to see just what form this card takes as it seems to me that even half a cypress core should perform close to a 4890, so do they cut 2 more smids and drop the clocks ? the options are quite a few but what form the card finally takes should give us an insite on just how bad the failings were/are.
This could be one hell of a good value card or another relativly overpriced damp squib from the red team.

Mactronix

That seems a bit counter productive to me considering reports a little while suggesting that despite not having a DX11 part Nvidia were still holding their ground against the 5 series onslaught, surely bringing another card to the cash tills as soon as possible would be in Ati's best interest.

True but they are producing to price point at the moment not performance segments. Back with the 2 series they struggled to get a card that could perform well enough to reach the price points as they were struggling with performance.
Now they have performance in hand and so are making the cards suite the price points that they are dictating.
If they make this card to good they shoot 5850 sales in the foot as JDFan has said. That's what I'm basing what is basically my personal opinion on, that and the fact that the 5850 is down clocked as well as having Sp's clipped to reach the performance needed to neatly fit this newer card into the price/performance structure of whole family.
Along with the performance of the 5770 I'm speculating (and that's all this is), that if they leave say 1280 SP's and keep the clocks up then its going to out perform its price point, like the 4770 did and which if we are all honest we hoped and saw no reason why the whole 5 series wouldn't do.
I wouldn't mind if it did but it seems that the days of AMD giving anything away for free is over. I hope I'm very wrong, maybe I'm being overly cynical but there you go.

Mactronix

slytx

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Gah, this sucks. I was REALLY hoping this card would be released tomorrow. Im ordering all my hardware on the 12/13th of this month and have been set on the 5770. It seems like a great card at a great price point but I will be running at 1920x1080 and of coure would love a little more GPU power. However I do not want to spend nearly twice as much for the 5850 right now....

So that being said, it looks like the 5770 is going to be my best option. I could I guess wait until the 16th for the 5830 to be released, but then again if it is delayed again then I would be really dissapointed and ready to get my rig going with a 5770 already. In comparison to the 5770, what could I expect that would be greater from the 5830?

Well I recall a couple of articles a little while ago about how both Nvidia and Ati were changing the way that cards or GPU's were going to be supplied in an attempt to prevent stockpiling and consequent price cutting to clear inventory, this coupled with the subsequent price increase on the 58xx's by Ati lead me to feel that you may be right but let's hope we are both wrong eh?

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

Don't you mean is?

If you said "That is of course assuming Fermi is a giant fail-boat and ruins the whole graphics industry pricing war" it would make more sense to get a 5830 (Fermi fails).

I expect it to offer GTX285-275 performance, basically a little over the 4890, or = to the overclocked version. Anyway, I heard the PCB problem is originally why it didn't launch last week, so we'll see. I'd like to ad one to my system I tell ya what :D.

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

No, I mean isn't. If Fermi fails, ATI can price their cards to the god damned sky and nVidia wont be able to do didly about it. If the Fermi succeeds, there will be a price war which will hopefully drive ATI prices back down to at least a NORMAL level or below it to be competitive.

So I DEARLY HOPE Fermi does well, because I can get a decent ATI card for cheap now to RUN AvP3 then, and 6 months from now I can dump a ton of money into the 2nd gen Fermi's and SLI them so that my graphics card department is solid for a few years. :)

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Lol, you know as well as I do, if nVidia doesn't take the performance crown with Fermi, they'll commit ritual Seppuku. They seem to have an ego thing about their cards.....

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Except this time nVidia won't have a friend to take off its head.

demonnn

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
i was gonna get this , but bough an ipod instead... my 4770 keeps up with most games just fine. Probably gonna keep it until the dx11 cards get a lot cheaper

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I am also interested in this card. The 5850 is over priced and the 4000 series cards are old news. The 5770 will not give my system the omph it needs.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Over priced for my budget. Plus I don't need that much power........yet.

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.