Sign in with
Your question

Is the 5830 still due out tomorrow 5th Feb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 11:14:30 AM

Title says it all really,
Not sure if its released tomorrow why there have been no reviews, seems stupid to have an NDA on a card that's going in the middle of an established line up, wonder what major new addition/ surprise can be causing such secrecy

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 1:47:00 PM

mactronix said:
Title says it all really,
Not sure if its released tomorrow why there have been no reviews, seems stupid to have an NDA on a card that's going in the middle of an established line up, wonder what major new addition/ surprise can be causing such secrecy

Mactronix

No more news on the matter. I don't believe we will see anything special with this card. Even from the name we realize it is between the 5770 and the 5850 so nothing special. Only an attractive choice for those who want similar performance with the 4890 and DX11.
February 4, 2010 2:40:13 PM

Last I heard it isn't coming out 'til Feb. 16th now.

If the card has decent OC capabilities, I might end up buying one in a month or two when they wont cost $100000 dollars more than they should currently.

That is of course assuming Fermi isn't a giant fail-boat and ruins the whole graphics industry pricing war...........
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 2:51:24 PM

RealityRush said:

If the card has decent OC capabilities, I might end up buying one in a month or two when they wont cost $100000 dollars more than they should currently.

That is of course assuming Fermi isn't a giant fail-boat and ruins the whole graphics industry pricing war...........

I wonder what were the problems that delayed the card.
I barely resist buying a 5xxx card :( . I want to, but a new monitor will suffice for now. Maybe when the 68xx come I will buy a new card.
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 3:33:53 PM

Well last i read was an issue with the boards that pushed it back to the 5th, now the 16th if RealityRush has reliable info. :( 
just want to weigh it up as i dont need 5850 performance and the 5770 isnt that special. At this rate its going to be a scaled down fermi that finally hits the performance sector im looking at. :lol: 

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 3:51:56 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
I barely resist buying a 5xxx card :( . I want to, but a new monitor will suffice for now. Maybe when the 68xx come I will buy a new card.

Think it is more of a profits move - they figure with sales of the 5850 doing so well and the supply of them just barely starting to keep up with the demand better to wait awhile longer before bringing out the slightly slower\lower priced competitor that may switch some users to it vs. the higher cost 5850 ! Once the 5850 is no longer selling as quickly as they make them there will be more incentive to bring out the 5830 to pick up the sales of those that didn't want to spend the extra $ to get the 5850 while it was the only option. Plus the delay also keeps the 5770 at a higher price point since it is the only option if the 5850 is too much so they also make more profit on it since they can still sell them at a higher price until the 5830 comes out to make the price\performance no longer look as good. So really the delay makes them more profits on the 2 cards they already released and until Nvidia releases FERMI and there is some outside competition it really doesn't make sense for them to release the 5830 and cut sales of their other products that have a larger margin.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 7:50:53 PM

hallowed_dragon said:

Or it's a profit move, you decide. After all it's not like anyone anywhere has mentioned anything about ever having issues with any 5 series card, ever. :whistle: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 8:40:24 PM

I personally think they just found out that the card outperforms the price point they have it targeted at and so are holding it while they lock some more SP's out in the firmware.

Its reported to be a Cypress core that has been binned. And also that it will perform at around the 4890 level.
I'm going to be interested to see just what form this card takes as it seems to me that even half a cypress core should perform close to a 4890, so do they cut 2 more smids and drop the clocks ? the options are quite a few but what form the card finally takes should give us an insite on just how bad the failings were/are.
This could be one hell of a good value card or another relativly overpriced damp squib from the red team.

Mactronix
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 8:48:56 PM

That seems a bit counter productive to me considering reports a little while suggesting that despite not having a DX11 part Nvidia were still holding their ground against the 5 series onslaught, surely bringing another card to the cash tills as soon as possible would be in Ati's best interest.
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 9:05:05 PM

True but they are producing to price point at the moment not performance segments. Back with the 2 series they struggled to get a card that could perform well enough to reach the price points as they were struggling with performance.
Now they have performance in hand and so are making the cards suite the price points that they are dictating.
If they make this card to good they shoot 5850 sales in the foot as JDFan has said. That's what I'm basing what is basically my personal opinion on, that and the fact that the 5850 is down clocked as well as having Sp's clipped to reach the performance needed to neatly fit this newer card into the price/performance structure of whole family.
Along with the performance of the 5770 I'm speculating (and that's all this is), that if they leave say 1280 SP's and keep the clocks up then its going to out perform its price point, like the 4770 did and which if we are all honest we hoped and saw no reason why the whole 5 series wouldn't do.
I wouldn't mind if it did but it seems that the days of AMD giving anything away for free is over. I hope I'm very wrong, maybe I'm being overly cynical but there you go.

Mactronix
February 4, 2010 9:14:28 PM

Gah, this sucks. I was REALLY hoping this card would be released tomorrow. Im ordering all my hardware on the 12/13th of this month and have been set on the 5770. It seems like a great card at a great price point but I will be running at 1920x1080 and of coure would love a little more GPU power. However I do not want to spend nearly twice as much for the 5850 right now....

So that being said, it looks like the 5770 is going to be my best option. I could I guess wait until the 16th for the 5830 to be released, but then again if it is delayed again then I would be really dissapointed and ready to get my rig going with a 5770 already. In comparison to the 5770, what could I expect that would be greater from the 5830?
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 9:23:33 PM

mactronix said:
True but they are producing to price point at the moment not performance segments. Back with the 2 series they struggled to get a card that could perform well enough to reach the price points as they were struggling with performance.
Now they have performance in hand and so are making the cards suite the price points that they are dictating.
If they make this card to good they shoot 5850 sales in the foot as JDFan has said. That's what I'm basing what is basically my personal opinion on, that and the fact that the 5850 is down clocked as well as having Sp's clipped to reach the performance needed to neatly fit this newer card into the price/performance structure of whole family.
Along with the performance of the 5770 I'm speculating (and that's all this is), that if they leave say 1280 SP's and keep the clocks up then its going to out perform its price point, like the 4770 did and which if we are all honest we hoped and saw no reason why the whole 5 series wouldn't do.
I wouldn't mind if it did but it seems that the days of AMD giving anything away for free is over. I hope I'm very wrong, maybe I'm being overly cynical but there you go.

Mactronix

Well I recall a couple of articles a little while ago about how both Nvidia and Ati were changing the way that cards or GPU's were going to be supplied in an attempt to prevent stockpiling and consequent price cutting to clear inventory, this coupled with the subsequent price increase on the 58xx's by Ati lead me to feel that you may be right but let's hope we are both wrong eh?
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 9:36:49 PM

RealityRush said:

Don't you mean is?

If you said "That is of course assuming Fermi is a giant fail-boat and ruins the whole graphics industry pricing war" it would make more sense to get a 5830 (Fermi fails).
a c 107 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 10:07:35 PM

I expect it to offer GTX285-275 performance, basically a little over the 4890, or = to the overclocked version. Anyway, I heard the PCB problem is originally why it didn't launch last week, so we'll see. I'd like to ad one to my system I tell ya what :D .
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 5, 2010 8:19:00 AM

Just seen over at Fudzilla that they dont expect the card untill after the 20th now :( 

Mactronix
February 5, 2010 11:56:01 AM

sabot00 said:
Don't you mean is?

If you said "That is of course assuming Fermi is a giant fail-boat and ruins the whole graphics industry pricing war" it would make more sense to get a 5830 (Fermi fails).

No, I mean isn't. If Fermi fails, ATI can price their cards to the god damned sky and nVidia wont be able to do didly about it. If the Fermi succeeds, there will be a price war which will hopefully drive ATI prices back down to at least a NORMAL level or below it to be competitive.

So I DEARLY HOPE Fermi does well, because I can get a decent ATI card for cheap now to RUN AvP3 then, and 6 months from now I can dump a ton of money into the 2nd gen Fermi's and SLI them so that my graphics card department is solid for a few years. :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2010 12:03:40 PM

Id prefer to see Fermi on the cheap end. Let nVidia take the price/perf this round. In fact , I dare nVidia to do just that, after all this delay, itd do them well to do so
February 5, 2010 12:09:12 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Id prefer to see Fermi on the cheap end. Let nVidia take the price/perf this round. In fact , I dare nVidia to do just that, after all this delay, itd do them well to do so

Lol, you know as well as I do, if nVidia doesn't take the performance crown with Fermi, they'll commit ritual Seppuku. They seem to have an ego thing about their cards.....
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2010 12:32:29 PM

RealityRush said:
Lol, you know as well as I do, if nVidia doesn't take the performance crown with Fermi, they'll commit ritual Seppuku. They seem to have an ego thing about their cards.....

Except this time nVidia won't have a friend to take off its head.
February 5, 2010 12:43:27 PM

i was gonna get this , but bough an ipod instead... my 4770 keeps up with most games just fine. Probably gonna keep it until the dx11 cards get a lot cheaper
February 5, 2010 2:48:10 PM

I am also interested in this card. The 5850 is over priced and the 4000 series cards are old news. The 5770 will not give my system the omph it needs.
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2010 10:17:02 PM

How the crap is the 5850 overpriced?
5850 - $289
GTX 285 - $389

It's Feb 5, not out yet.
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2010 11:07:11 PM

demonnn said:
i was gonna get this , but bough an ipod instead... my 4770 keeps up with most games just fine. Probably gonna keep it until the dx11 cards get a lot cheaper

Were you meaning cheaper gaming dx 11 card or just a cheap dx 11 card? :p 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5450,2549...
February 5, 2010 11:13:02 PM

sabot00 said:
5850 - $289
GTX 285 - $389

It's Feb 5, not out yet.

Over priced for my budget. Plus I don't need that much power........yet.
February 6, 2010 4:28:46 PM

sabot00 said:
5850 - $289
GTX 285 - $389

It's Feb 5, not out yet.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2010 4:35:55 PM

How is that relevant? Price wars are a win for us.
February 6, 2010 6:29:49 PM

sabot00 said:
How is that relevant? Price wars are a win for us.

Saying "ATI overcharging is ok because nVidia overcharges more" is bull, they both overcharge, and one doing it doesn't make it right for the other one to do it.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2010 6:51:00 PM

No, Id love to see the more powerful card 100 $ more, make that 489 for the 5850, then come crying, until it is , quit whining
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2010 7:10:17 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
No, Id love to see the more powerful card 100 $ more, make that 489 for the 5850, then come crying, until it is , quit whining

Well said.
February 6, 2010 10:22:20 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:

s would I, but then I'd like to see the 285 at like $150 :p 
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2010 10:58:20 PM

Well, it should be 229, not a buck more either
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2010 2:35:29 PM

Fudzilla is showing a Europe retailer is listing the 5830, price and specs.
Can someone give the us dollars exchange for this price.
The specs sound great,
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17612/1/
HD 5830 spec'd and listed for €215
The card is based on AMD's Cypress LE core, used in HD 5850 cards, but it features fewer shaders, 1280 instead of 1440 on the HD 5850. It also has 60 texture units compared to 72 on the HD 5850. All in all it doesn't sound like AMD crippled it too much and we can assume it will still pack quite a punch. The GPU clock is apparently set at 750MHz, which is 25MHz faster than the reference HD 5850. The higher clock comes as a surprise, but bear in mind that these are unofficial specs and we're taking them with a grain of salt.
February 10, 2010 2:42:15 PM

notty22 said:
Fudzilla is showing a Europe retailer is listing the 5830, price and specs.
Can someone give the us dollars exchange for this price.
The specs sound great,
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17612/1/
HD 5830 spec'd and listed for €215
The card is based on AMD's Cypress LE core, used in HD 5850 cards, but it features fewer shaders, 1280 instead of 1440 on the HD 5850. It also has 60 texture units compared to 72 on the HD 5850. All in all it doesn't sound like AMD crippled it too much and we can assume it will still pack quite a punch. The GPU clock is apparently set at 750MHz, which is 25MHz faster than the reference HD 5850. The higher clock comes as a surprise, but bear in mind that these are unofficial specs and we're taking them with a grain of salt.

$315.38CAD.... that's pretty pricy for a 5830, only $60 less than a 5850 and almost $150 MORE than a 5770??? I was considering buying one, but if it is that high, f*%# that noise, overpriced... I was expecting more like $230ish... I thought this thing was supposed to fill the void between the 5770 and 5850, not give me a slightly crippled 5850 for slightly less money.....
February 10, 2010 4:59:25 PM

if these specs at fud are true, then this card will be only 5-10% slower than 5850. This will make it equal or > GTX 285 (just another nail in nvidia coffin)

if its $60 less I would buy it in a heart beat over 5850. But yet again I already bought my 5850 :D 

a c 376 U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 6:21:59 AM

RealityRush said:
$315.38CAD.... that's pretty pricy for a 5830, only $60 less than a 5850 and almost $150 MORE than a 5770??? I was considering buying one, but if it is that high, f*%# that noise, overpriced... I was expecting more like $230ish... I thought this thing was supposed to fill the void between the 5770 and 5850, not give me a slightly crippled 5850 for slightly less money.....

You can't do a straight currency conversion and expect the prices to be the same. Cards always cost more in Europe.
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 7:51:52 PM

jyjjy said:
You can't do a straight currency conversion and expect the prices to be the same. Cards always cost more in Europe.

Aint that the gods honest truth :( 

Mactronix
February 20, 2010 8:02:50 PM

jyjjy said:

Yeah, cause Canada is so much cheaper lawl.

Every card that comes to Canada gets an extra $100 automatically tacked on to it just for crossing the damn border. Cards are ludicrously expensive up here as well. So I pretty much can just do straight conversions :p 
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 8:13:05 PM

yey america's prices :p 
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 8:27:19 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping for 239.99 or they'll be overpriced

While $239 would be nice I'd think more towards the $259 price point is what we'll see at least at launch - since they are saying the performance will be closer to the 5850 than the 5770 and the lack of any competition from Nvidia in the DX11 market is not putting any pressure on them to lower the prices yet !
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 9:03:00 PM

RealityRush said:
Yeah, cause Canada is so much cheaper lawl.

Every card that comes to Canada gets an extra $100 automatically tacked on to it just for crossing the damn border. Cards are ludicrously expensive up here as well. So I pretty much can just do straight conversions :p 

Then how is it that the HD5850 and HD5870 seem to be the same price on newegg.ca as the US site?
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 11:19:01 PM

jyjjy said:
Then how is it that the HD5850 and HD5870 seem to be the same price on newegg.ca as the US site?

I believe it is because the extra fees are added on shipping to the Canadian address as a fee (Like the VAT tax in Europe)and they do not add that to the pricing on the site !
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 3:37:05 AM

I don't believe that is true. They do have a rather high sales tax however.
February 21, 2010 5:23:17 AM

jyjjy said:

They aren't. The latest gen of ATI cards only seem to be a $50 difference between the Canadian and US site. You used to have to factor in exchange rate, but obviously not so much anymore.

However, there's also brokerage fees which usually about $20, then the 15% taxes on top of the taxes you already paid, then the shipping fee basically gets doubled for crossing the border.

$100 more than the US site is if you are freaking lucky.

The only consolation is that Canadian prices have been going down a little bit over the past year and even after all that are getting closer to the US sites.
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 7:58:42 AM

I don't know about the fees/taxes afterward but the listed prices on the two sites are very similar and last time I looked the exchange rate is almost nonexistent. The final cost really comes to $100 over the price listed on the site?
February 21, 2010 3:10:32 PM

jyjjy said:
I don't know about the fees/taxes afterward but the listed prices on the two sites are very similar and last time I looked the exchange rate is almost nonexistent. The final cost really comes to $100 over the price listed on the site?

It depends on a lot of different things, but between the $50 extra on Canadian sites for the actual sales price, and brokerage fees and cross border shipping, it usually goes over $100 more. I've never understood why when I order from NewEgg.ca... half the stuff gets shipped from the US......
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 3:41:02 PM

RealityRush said:
It depends on a lot of different things, but between the $50 extra on Canadian sites for the actual sales price, and brokerage fees and cross border shipping, it usually goes over $100 more. I've never understood why when I order from NewEgg.ca... half the stuff gets shipped from the US......

Was curious when you order does it tell you all of the additional costs on the Invoice or do you have to wait and see when you get the final billing ? (ie. does the shipping Co. add extra brockerage fees for bringing across the border or does Newegg add them as part of the billing when ordering)
February 21, 2010 4:47:46 PM

JDFan said:
Was curious when you order does it tell you all of the additional costs on the Invoice or do you have to wait and see when you get the final billing ? (ie. does the shipping Co. add extra brockerage fees for bringing across the border or does Newegg add them as part of the billing when ordering)

They add them at the border, isn't a newegg listed expense, so you find out when it arrives :p 

There is a nice little trick I learned recently though. If you order through UPS express, for like $20 vs $10 for shipping, you get the package faster and UPS wont charge you brokerages fees like USPS or Canada Post will. So that saves me $30-50 sometimes, double taxes still hurts though if it is a big purchase......
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 5:26:09 PM

RealityRush said:
between the $50 extra on Canadian sites for the actual sales price

I've repeatedly pointed out that there is almost no difference between the prices listed on the two sites. Have you even looked?
February 21, 2010 8:54:34 PM

jyjjy said:
I've repeatedly pointed out that there is almost no difference between the prices listed on the two sites. Have you even looked?

There's a $50 average difference on all of the 5800 series cards, comparing the same brands.
!