Sign in with
Your question

Need some serious BSOD help with new build

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2010 5:33:21 AM

System runs fine in the beginning, then starts going crazy with errors.

System consists of:

Intel i5 750
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mobo
G Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK DDR1333 RAM 2 x 2GB
PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB
Etasis ET750 PSU 750w
Cooler Master Gladiator 600 case
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
Win XP PRO SP3

System boots fine. Everything seems ok for a while, but then the BSOD starts. All kinds of errors - memory could not be read or written, rundll32.exe application errors, timeout errors, application errors with many different exe files upon startup. When they get going and I reboot, the system usually crashes within the first 30 seconds. The first build resulted in the same problems so I took the whole thing apart, rebuilt it and reinstalled windows. All windows updates are installed. I have run Memtest overnight with no errors. Speedfan shows temps around 30c at idle, around 65c with 10 minutes of Prime95. 3DMmark graphics score was like 15000, but now can't be run. Chkdsk shows errors and tries to fix. I ran CCleaner's registry check and there were a ton of items but I can't get it to fully analyze without crashing. Mind you this is a new build with hardly anything on the drive. All drivers are up to date. The event viewer has all sorts of application and system errors.

I have no idea what to do, and my 30 day Newegg window is closing. Can someone tell me if this is showing the tell-tale signs of a hardware problem - disk, mobo, psu, or memory problem? If the system boots fine, can I rule out a faulty mobo? At this point I can't imagine a software problem. I have installed XP fresh 2 times now with the same issues. All updates were preformed with no other programs running (including anti-virus), and the latest drivers have been installed.

Please ask me any questions. Its late, I'm frustrated, and I don't feel like I'm making myself all that clear.

More about : bsod build

February 12, 2010 10:09:25 AM

Ok,try re-seat Ram to other slots(sometimes to help) and try reset BIOS(battery out),sorry for my english
m
l
February 12, 2010 4:52:07 PM

There is a sticky for boot problems, I would go through that checklist.

If you are getting disk errors I would suspect a bad HDD or HDD controller (onboard), Without swapping HDDs you wont know which. Got an old HDD someone can loan you to try?
m
l
February 26, 2010 2:17:06 PM

I figured it out, so I thought I would post in case anyone else had the same issue with a similar setup.

Since the errors were all over the place, I figured it must be a hardware issue. Everything pointed to it being memory error. Although it passed an overnight Memtest run, Memtest really only tests the actual memory, not the compatibility with the mobo. Even though Gigabyte had the G Skill memory I installed on their compatibility list, it wasn't playing nice with my system. I checked there website for a FAQ or any similar issues in the forums and there it was - a new BIOS update F5- Enhanced Memory Compatibility. As soon as I updated to that everything worked fine. :sol: 
m
l
!