AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 restarts system while stress testing.

subinjose

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I'm not able to finish a stress test using AMD overdrive. My system restarts after 30 min. Also while playing games also it restarts. It's a new system built before 4 days. I've tried an overclock to 3.8GHz once and changed to the stock speed of 3.4 same day itself. That's all what i've done with the CPU.

AMD Phenom 2 x4 965
Corsair XMS3 Dominator 4GB 2-Kit Phenom II DDR3 1600MHz CL8-8-8-24
HDD WD Caviar Black 3.5" 1TB SATA-III,7200rpm, 64MB Cache, 8.9ms
Corsair PSU HX850W, 850W
ATI Radeon HD 5970
Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

Any ideas friends ?

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Which cooler do you use? sounds to me that you cpu is overheating with such a large OC. If you have a decent cooler it might be the whole case that doesnt have good airflow...

Hmm, sound to me voltages have not been increase enough to run the cpu under load. Although do what das_stig said. Better to see if the system runs fine on stock settings.

subinjose

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I'd checked the CPU and GPU temperature. CPU reaches a maximum of 58 and GPU 86. That's ok right ? Is it a memory problem ? I'd increased the speed of memory to 1600MHz from 1333,because the memory and mobo supports that.

randomkid

Distinguished

Do you mean you are doing your OC via OMD Overdrive? Don't.
Use the BIOS.

Ideally, you should change the HT or the multiplier one step at a time ( increment of 100Mhz at a time ) and perform stress testing.

Download intel burn test. It provides the fastest way to test the stability since it provides the most stress ( even more than Prime 95 ).

I recommend the High Setting on INtel Burn Test with at least 10 runs. If it pass, you may increase the OC at another 100Mhz step. If the stress test fail, increase the vCore one or 2 notch, etc.
There are a lot of OC guide you can follow to reach the highest possible OC for your system.

king game

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
1600Mhz is way too much
use 1333mhz its way more safer than that after declocking

your results will change i am sure of that and dont over clock your ram

It's probably the exact opposite.

I've seen Gigabyte mobos over-volt substantially with system volts set to 'Auto' in the BIOS.

The OP can use AOD but he needs to enter the BIOS under the MIT menu and simply switch system voltage from 'Auto' to 'Manual' and F10 -- no voltage adjustments should be necessary for a 400MHz OC with the cpu multi.

If the OP wants to OC to the moon he should drop the memory ratio a notch, drop the cpu multi to 16 and up the clock to 240MHz. He can then 'practice' on slight +.025v VCore & NB adjustments while checking temps and stability.

While he is at it he can lock the PCIe speed to 100MHz and the HT to 2000MHz in the same MIT Menu. When he is happy he can bump the CPU multi +x.5 and he will be cruising along at 3.96GHz.