My computer is still restarting...

TechSlave

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
After multiple upgrades, hours upon hours of troubleshooting and an endless amount of research I am at a loss of what the problem could be.

I'll describe my problem first:

My computer restarts during game load. Not only that but I ran a performance test and it restarted during the 3d portion of the test. I haven't run the performance test since. The game I'm using to test this problem is Sims 3, although I've tested a few others but it's the same thing every time. The computer restarts during the main heavy load cycle.

I've replaced many of the parts in my PC. If fact, almost all of the parts.

This is what I used to have and I was experiencing the same problems with this (older) system:

Operating System - Windows XP Home 34 bit
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
CPU - Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfberg 3.0ghz
CPU FAN - Arctic Cool Freezer Pro 7
RAM - G.Skill DDR2 2x1gig
GPU - Nvidia XFX 7500gt 256 DRAM
PSU - Ultra X3 - 1000W

This is what my current system is:

Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Motherboard - Biostar TP45E Combo
CPU - Same processor, See above
CPU FAN - Cooler Master N520
RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR3 4x2gig
GPU - Nvidia EVGA 9800gt 512 DRAM
PSU - Same PSU, See above

The only two things I have not replaced is the case and the PSU. I know it's not a driver issue because I have spent an ungodly amount of time researching, reinstalling, and installing all of the latest drivers and software but, I am open to any possible fixes.

After all I've put into this computer I would absolutely LOVE getting this problem resolved and gone. I'm a huge gamer and this is certainly putting a damper on my day to day gaming habits and mood.

The computer runs fine with anything & everything else. Windows media player, internet browsing, video playback, music, documents, zip files, downloads, installs. Everything works great until I try to run heavy 3d usage applications.

Now I refuse to believe that it's my GPU considering this problem was never apparent during the install of the video card in my old system. It started months and months later. And The video card I have now is brand new and fine. And I also highly doubt it's a heat issue after much of my troubleshooting has lead me to these temps.

System Temp - 22 °c
GPU Temp - Idle) 30 °c - 34 °c Running) 45 °c - 55 °c
Cores 1 & 2 of CPU Idle) 28 °c Under load) 32 °c - 40 °c

Please please please let the tech god of my dreams be out there and help me in this endeavor.

Thank you for all ideas and suggestions in advance.

It's XP 32-bit not 34 and your processor is a Wolfdale :) Sorry I just slipped into an editing mood tonight.

Your temps are all fine provided you are using a good utility to grab them. See my troubleshooting guide linked in my sig for various recommended utilities.

I was a proud owner of an Ultra PSU for many long years, but Ultra is not the company they once were. While quality testing of Ultra PSUs is rare, what tests have been recently done only demonstrate the rapid decline of quality. The original Ultra X3 1000W did originally test out well, but then there was a model number change and no testing was done on the newer model number...

Now, provided you have one of the good X3 1Ks, and it is actually functioning properly, then you might inspect all the contacts, both ends of the cables, for any scorching.

Another thing to try is the power at your outlet. Run a cord in from another circuit in the house to power just the PSU.

Finally, you could inspect the standoffs under your motherboard to make sure they are only placed under the correct holes in your board... a short can, rarely, act like this.

By the way your system, as described, should easily run on a decent quality 500W, if you happen to have access to something to swap out and test. You are actually pulling something around 300W max.

TechSlave

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

I've tested out the setup through different outlets swapping surge protectors and the like and have had no difference.

I've already made plans to go and get a new power supply this weekend. Most likely an Antec or Apevia but I'm open to other suggestions.

This thread was made to rule out anything I may have overlooked in my process of troubleshooting So and and all suggestions you have will be helpful.

TechSlave

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

I meant it to be 4 gigs @ 2x2 gigs... My mistake.

And to Proxi -

I'll look into Seasonic for sure.. You've been extremely helpful..

I'll keep an eye out for Antec as well..

Any possibility you have anymore suggestions as to the problem?

I'm replacing my case as well and have looked through your guide to see what you recommend and since I know you know what you're talking about, I've taken it all to heart.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Two things that have caused this with me in the past.

1). bad memory modules (Corsair XMS of all things) You can run memtest and rule that out. If you get any errors, return them.

2). a bad or shorted wiring harness to a fan. Unplug all your fans except minimum and all other items except the essentials, HD, CPU fan and Mobo headers and see how that goes.

TechSlave

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I want to give a HUGE thank you to Proxi for helping me with this issue. After following his guides and product mentions I went out today and bought a new case to eliminate the issue involving the cases stand-offs and bought an Antec 600W PSU..

I've tested multiple games now at full settings and It's running like silk.

I can't thank you guys enough for all of your suggestions and help.

And I advise all of you at this board, new members and old alike to follow Proxi's guides for upgrades and new builds. The man has done his research and has certainly saved this poor builder an immense amount of stress and saved my system.

Mod's can mark this as resolved or delete the post, even though me replying throws it to the top of the boards. So, for that redundancy: I'm sorry.

THANKS AGAIN!