Sign in with
Your question

BSODs pretty sure its caused by my RAM.

Last response: in Memory
September 21, 2010 5:45:12 PM

Mobo: ASRock 880G EXTREME3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto

I have tweaked things with various levels of success.

The system ran fine for its 1st few days. Then started getting constant BSODs. Updated all drivers, moved the Video card to a different slot, computer ran fine for a few more days.

Started getting BSODs again... Updated video card drivers again. Didn't fix it.

BSOD's get more frequent. Move the RAM to different slots from A2/B2 to A1/B1. Fixes it for a little while but they come back.

Read online that my RAM timings are off, go into BIOs and chance my DRAM fequency to 1.6 NB volatage to 1.4v and timings to 9-9-9-24-2t. Seems to be working fine, then just got another BSOD after 2 days without one.

My BIOS have like a million overclock settings, and seeing as how when I went to fix the timings all of them were wrong, I can't help but think that some of the other settings are wrong for my RAM aswell, but I haven't seen anything about changing settings besides the 5 timing settings and the NB voltage.

Edit: Normally I could put up with the occasional BSOD, however the ram problem is forcing me to fail installs/updates of games. :(  I get an I/O error message. Obviously it is not my optical drive, and I have ran tests on my hard drive and that appears to be alright.
a b } Memory
September 21, 2010 6:15:22 PM

If you haven't tested your RAM with memtest86+, you should try that first. Download the .iso file from the website (1/2 down the page), burn it to a USB stick or CD, then boot to that device after POST. Memtest86+ takes about 45 mins to run a compete test.

Errors in memtest86+ indicate a RAM problem. If your RAM is at its default settings, and you get errors, you have bad RAM. In that case test each stick separately so you know which oine is bad.

If you are testing OCed RAM, and it fails the OC settings, you'll have to try different settings until it passes memtest86+.

Sometimes it is best to reset the BIOS to its defaults, and then to re-set your custom BIOS RAM timings and voltage. With the power cord disconnected, CLR_CMOS, press the power-on button several times (to completely discharge the board), and remove the CMOS battery for a few hours. Then re-install the battery. Re-attach the power cord. Power-on the system, reset your RAM settings and any other custom settings you need. Save and exit the BIOS. It will restart. Boot to memtest86+. If you cannot get the RAM (each stick) to pass memetest86+, get new RAM.
m
l
September 21, 2010 8:26:47 PM

Sigh the RAM passed Memtest86 (I let it do 2 full runs). Which now leaves me confused as to what the problem is. I'll post my most recent few crash dumps if that helps. Ohh, can you not post attatchments on these board :( ?

m
l
a b } Memory
September 21, 2010 9:49:52 PM

Try CLR_CMOS, using the steps I described above. Then reset the BIOS RAM settings shown on the stickers - leave all the other RAM settings on AUTO; make any other custom BIOS settings you need, e.g., HDD (IDE/SATA/ACHI/RAID, first boot). Save and exit. Run memest86+ another complete run with no errors. Restart and see if you get more random BSODs. If you do, consider RMAing the motherboard.

The reason I suggest CLR_CMOS and removing battery is that sometimes the BIOS retains settings that you did not intend to save, even though you've reset them to AUTO. CLR_CMOS w/steps above will reset the BIOS to its actual default settings, including AUTO settings, so there are no non-default AUTO settings from your earlier BIOS changes.

I use an excel log of key BIOS settings and the OCing stability results when I sit down to do serious OCing attempts. I log what settings work and which ones don't, including POST/No POST, pass memtest, and boot into windows. Saves me a lot of time when I start another session because I have a record of settings that did NOT work. Even 1 MHz on the FSB can make the difference in success or failure at high OCs.
m
l
!