Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A few comments about thief ]|[

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 3:33:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Hello all.

I just purchased the game and so far it is better than I thought it would
be. The only complaints I have are minor.

complaint 1: In the interest of making the game INTERFACE look better, the
use of it has become cumbersome.

I am not fond of finding numbers on my keyboard in the dark so I usually use
the mouse wheel to scroll through the weapons. However, due to the nifty
gear rotating machinery that displayes the items it slows the switching
down. (this may be because of my lack of RAM though). on the menu screen,
due to the DVDmenu-like fading in and out, going from each screen takes that
extra second or two. (once again minor but slows an area of the game that
used to be fast. Leave slow movement to garrett :)  )

complaint 2: Where is the opening movie?

If they are not doing many mission briefing cutscenes Why get rid of the
catchy opening?

complaint 3: Can't see through bow sight.

Glad they added some tilting to the bow, as no one trying to stay out of
sight would hold a bow straight up and out for all the world to see, but the
sight is a little cramped.

complaint 4: mid level loading.

Not too bad but definately kills the mood. (What the hell is that blue
sparkling fog for? Oh..... LOADING========-----)

Now onto the good/great things about theif ]|[

Great thing 1: Lockpicking is now much more fun and interactive.

Took me a minute to figure out what the hell I was doing, but now that I can
pick them in about 3 seconds it has become really enjoyable. It is much
better than choose square or triangle pick, click and hold lock, switch pick
if needed click and hold lock, repeat as needed.

Great thing 2: Classic thief three-dimentional sound.

Just like in real life, sound gets distorted as it goes around corners and
such. As I neared a T shaped intersection, it sounded like the voices were
right in front of me. Only when I got close enough could I tell that the
sound was coming from the left passage.

good thing 1: More complex buildings.

elevators! If they can make semi-intelligent robot warriors then why not
elevators? In thief ]|[ they can.

good thing 2: It's Thief!!! what else is needed? It is so hard for really
good games to continue in a world of cookie cutter platformers and
sport/racing games. (no offence to platform/sport/racing enthusiasts:)  )

More about : comments thief

Anonymous
May 29, 2004 3:48:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

> good thing 1: More complex buildings.
>
> elevators! If they can make semi-intelligent robot warriors then why not
> elevators? In thief ]|[ they can.

?

Cragscreft had elevators in the mining levels.
The Cathedral had an elevator (once you restored power in the basement.)
Shipping & Receiving had elevators in warehouse A.
Casing/Masks had an elevator connecting the 2nd and third floors.
Soulforge Cathedral had elevators all over.
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 3:52:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

oh yeah. good point. its been a while since i played the first two, they
won't run on my win XP machine.
stupid hyperthreading.
speaking of which, anyone know how to get the two games to work? ( and i've
tried the lgntforce command. I think it has something to do with my p4 2.8
chip thinking its two processors.)

"SpammersDie" <y@y.yyy> wrote in message
news:TcQtc.85386$hH.1552033@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > good thing 1: More complex buildings.
> >
> > elevators! If they can make semi-intelligent robot warriors then why not
> > elevators? In thief ]|[ they can.
>
> ?
>
> Cragscreft had elevators in the mining levels.
> The Cathedral had an elevator (once you restored power in the basement.)
> Shipping & Receiving had elevators in warehouse A.
> Casing/Masks had an elevator connecting the 2nd and third floors.
> Soulforge Cathedral had elevators all over.
>
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 4:00:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:p gQtc.16343970$Id.2711968@news.easynews.com...
> oh yeah. good point. its been a while since i played the first two, they
> won't run on my win XP machine.
> stupid hyperthreading.
> speaking of which, anyone know how to get the two games to work? ( and
i've
> tried the lgntforce command. I think it has something to do with my p4 2.8
> chip thinking its two processors.)

It does. The Dark Engine was not programmed for multiproc machines (even
simulated multiproc machines.)

There's a tool called imagecfg.exe which you can use to set the processor
affinity mask in the Thief .exe files so they're locked down to a single
processor.

Here's a link to the faq on Dark Engine and multiprocs.

http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 6:14:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Y_Ptc.16436064$Of.2738806@news.easynews.com...
> I just purchased the game and so far it is better than I thought it would
> be. The only complaints I have are minor.

and you can't pick up food for extra health!

>good thing 2: It's Thief!!!

Indeed it is! Which I was so happy to see and all else is forgiven! :D 
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 6:14:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Didn't even try the food for health thing yet. That's another small
annoyance.

Oh and another good thing: The mob speech is a little more thought out. I
picked some guys pocket and he noticed a few seconds later. he then said
"hey! it was right here a minute ago!" then went to the nearest guard and
told him his money was stolen (alerting the guards, darn it)
much better than the 'gasping while steping back and raising hands into the
air before running breakneck speed to nowhere like a crazed maniac' that
they used to do in the first two.

"McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> wrote in message
news:2hq2unFfu0tsU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> news:Y_Ptc.16436064$Of.2738806@news.easynews.com...
> > I just purchased the game and so far it is better than I thought it
would
> > be. The only complaints I have are minor.
>
> and you can't pick up food for extra health!
>
> >good thing 2: It's Thief!!!
>
> Indeed it is! Which I was so happy to see and all else is forgiven! :D 
>
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 7:37:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Fri, 28 May 2004 23:33:12 GMT, "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com>
wrote:

>I am not fond of finding numbers on my keyboard in the dark

The other day I bought a great lamp, one of those bendy, long necked
ones. The top part is curved, with the light coming from a recessed
bulb.

What this means is I can play Thief in pitch black, with the only
light falling directly on the keyboard and mouse, with no backwash on
the screen.

It's the only way to play. :) 

And surround sound, natch.

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 7:37:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:37:19 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 May 2004 23:33:12 GMT, "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I am not fond of finding numbers on my keyboard in the dark
>
>The other day I bought a great lamp, one of those bendy, long necked
>ones. The top part is curved, with the light coming from a recessed
>bulb.

Like this kind? http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5a84/

>What this means is I can play Thief in pitch black, with the only
>light falling directly on the keyboard and mouse, with no backwash on
>the screen.
>
>It's the only way to play. :) 
>
>And surround sound, natch.

I prefer noise-canceling headphones and total darkness. If your eyes
can't see by the light of the power LED on your computer, then you aren't
immersed enough in the atmosphere. :) )

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 7:40:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 00:30:41 GMT, "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com>
wrote:

>Oh and another good thing: The mob speech is a little more thought out. I
>picked some guys pocket and he noticed a few seconds later. he then said
>"hey! it was right here a minute ago!" then went to the nearest guard and
>told him his money was stolen (alerting the guards, darn it)
>much better than the 'gasping while steping back and raising hands into the
>air before running breakneck speed to nowhere like a crazed maniac' that
>they used to do in the first two.

Mine was "Gone ! Right off my belt !" Then he just walked away.

I wonder if there's a timing effect between him noticing it's gone,
and whether he alerts the guards ? Too much time, and he doesn;t
bother as he doesn't know it was taken. If he remembers having it a
few seconds earlier, he alerts the guards as he knows the thief is
near ?

Maybe...

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 10:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 14:59:22 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:37:19 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 28 May 2004 23:33:12 GMT, "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I am not fond of finding numbers on my keyboard in the dark
>>
>>The other day I bought a great lamp, one of those bendy, long necked
>>ones. The top part is curved, with the light coming from a recessed
>>bulb.
>
>Like this kind? http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5a84/
>
No, here's a pic - http://www.itmustbebunnies.org/Files/Hpim0085.jpg

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 10:37:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Mark Morrison wrote:

> No, here's a pic - http://www.itmustbebunnies.org/Files/Hpim0085.jpg

Ah, that appears to be one of the extremely dangerous halogen desk lamps
we were forbidden to have in the dorms in college.

Supposedly they can be a fire hazard or something. But then, so are
candles. I once used those for lighting while playing Thief. Talk
about atmosphere!

I have since developed a rather different method of lighting when
playing Thief. My "computer desk" is actually a plastic-topped folding
table. I found I could secure a clip-on lamp to the legs, such that it
creates a warm glow in the table surface, and a patch of reflected light
on the wall (my walls are painted white). The effect is, of course,
maximized at night, even though I have vertical blinds. Beats using
candles.

Objekt
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 1:27:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:37:01 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2004 14:59:22 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:37:19 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 28 May 2004 23:33:12 GMT, "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>I am not fond of finding numbers on my keyboard in the dark
>>>
>>>The other day I bought a great lamp, one of those bendy, long necked
>>>ones. The top part is curved, with the light coming from a recessed
>>>bulb.
>>
>>Like this kind? http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5a84/
>>
>No, here's a pic - http://www.itmustbebunnies.org/Files/Hpim0085.jpg

Ah. Too bright for me. But you must be used to bright things with that
glow in the dark pink wall color!

BTW, I have had the theme for "Once more, with feeling" stuck in my head
for several weeks. Thanks for contributing to my dementia. ;) 

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 4:13:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Objekt <t37student@yahoo.com> writes:

> I have since developed a rather different method of lighting when
> playing Thief.

If you've got a keyboard tray, then there should be opportunities for
some interesting lighting. Ie, get one of those flexible lighting
strips (plastic tubing with lights inside) and attach it under the
desk but above the keyboard tray. Alternately, Christmas tree lights
would serve the same purpose, and you could adjust the brightness by
adding or removing bulbs. You also should end up with enough light to
read the manual with if necessary.

Now, how to play the game at noon on a Saturday when it's bright...

--
Darin Johnson
"Particle Man, Particle Man, doing the things a particle can"
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 5:04:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

to add to my original comments about thief ]|[,

I am growing fond of the interconnected areas for missions. Having to
actually travel from one marks mansion to another, then stopping off at a
fence, followed by travelling to a local hammerite cathedral, swiping their
trinkets and going to another local fence is a little more immersive than
being dropped into a senario and then pulled back out again when the mission
is done. Each mission is a little smaller but it still works rather well.

I think the city map could be a little more complicated, but thats ok. the
blocked off area (could be 'old quarter' on the new map but I don't
remember, having not played the earlier thiefs since getting my winxp
machine.) in a previous thief felt bigger than the whole city seems to be
now.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 5:56:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:27:36 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Ah. Too bright for me. But you must be used to bright things with that
>glow in the dark pink wall color!

LOL, it's actually a dull-ish red, but the camera flash lit it up.

It DOES have white fruit stensils on it, though...

>BTW, I have had the theme for "Once more, with feeling" stuck in my head
>for several weeks. Thanks for contributing to my dementia. ;) 

Best episode ever !

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
!