Help on designing my Home Network

azdevil09

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I need some help determining what hardware and the configuration on my home network.

Hardware Definates
Getting a Dlink DGL-4100 Wired Gig Router
Have Netgear WGR614 Wirless G router
Linksys Cable Modem

Need to connect connect 1 PC, 1 work laptop with VPN security, 1 Ooma Telo, 1 PS3, and 2 laptops wirlessly.

I have a connection box in my closet that all the cable and cat5 wires throughout the house run to. There I would like to connect my Modem and the DGL-4100 router. In the router ports I would plug the wall lines for 3 different jacks.

In one room, I have a 2x2 jack where I would like to connect the PS3 to one and then the Netgear wireless router and set it up as an access point only.

In the oner room I would like to connect a swtich from the wall fack that feeds into a Ooma Telo, Work laptop with VPN security, and another PC that get little to now us.

Can all that be done without any issues or really major configuration? I am concerned that the devices on the switch may not access properly. I have very little clue how switches work and just want to make sure that there are no connectivity issues with the Ooma and work laptop that will need to be running at the same time.

I would appreciate any idea, feedback or concerns.

Thank you.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
There is no reason why this should not work with the proper configuration.

Netgear has instructions for setting up your WGR614 as an access point here. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

As far as the switch goes, in most network configurations (home networks being an exception) you will not be directly connected to a router. This is especially true with large networks. Generally you will be connected to a switch or series of switches that are then connected to a router.

azdevil09

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I have got the network setup but I am unable to get the WGR614 set as a wireless AP. I used the link that you refered to, but I am unable to get it to work and I am unclear on some of the steps.

I can't get the the Hiddenpage screen to disable the Connection Assistant. So my question is, if I reset the router to the default state and plug it in I go directly to the Assistant page when I login to the router. Am I suppose to first set the router up with a internet connection?

Do I need to do much to the router other than disable DHCP becasue my wired routers IP is 192.168.1.1 with a range from 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.199. The WGR614 IP is 192.168.0.1. Since the WGR is not in the DHCP range of the wired router shouldn't I be good to go, just need to disable the DHCP on the WGR614?

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I would not set it up with an internet connection. Once your reset it, connect only the power and 1 computer to a LAN port. Have nothing else connected to the router. Then try the steps on Netgears site with the hiddenpage.

Yes the WGR needs to be outside the wired routers DHCP range like you already have. You need to disable DHCP, configure your wireless settings and connect to your wired router using a LAN port, do not use the WAN port. Also take note of the "Potential Issues" listed at the bottom of the Netgear site.