arty79

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hello!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Week

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Photoshop. Watch movies :)  

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: SWE

PARTS PREFERENCES:
MOBO: ASUS P6T SE, X58, Socket-1366 "  What i know the SE don't have e-sata to the Standard P6T, otherwise is the same mobo?"
PROCESSOR: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920  
PSU: Corsair TX 650W PSU
CPU COOLING: Corsair H50 Water Cooling or a solid fan
RAM: 6 Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 6GB "Kit w/3X HyperX 2GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27

CASE: I Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
HD: Intel® X25-M SSD 80GB 2,5 and WD Caviar® Black 1TB 3,5", SATA
THERMAL PASTE: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
DVD-R: Combo DVD/BD

OVERCLOCKING: Yes (just a bit)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: CROSSFIRE, In  the future  

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I want a Stable Quiet System that i can OC just a bit. And not pay to much money for it.
Is the system well balanced?
Something that is under/over powered?l:
Or am i totally lost?
Later on, I propably going to buy a extra  ASUS Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 for more graphics power.
and  Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 6GB.

Will I work?

It will work, but it's not the best gaming PC out there. This is a much better build for encoding and other CPU heavy tasks, but is very light on the GPU for a gaming build.

I would switch to an i5-750 build. The i5 performs just as well in gaming as the i7-920, but the CPU, boards and RAM are all a lot cheaper. This allows you to spend much more on the GPU for better gaming.

Get an Asus P7P55D-E Pro and some 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 RAM. That should easily allow you to afford an HD 5850.

Another option for a much improved gaming build is getting a Phenom II X4 955 for the CPU. That would allow you to buy an HD 5870. The only replacement over the i5 build is the board. I recommend the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4.

If you were to go the AMD/5870 route, and still wanted to Crossfire, you should bump the PSU up to at least 750W.

For a gaming build you should probably start off with getting at least a 5850 and then building the rest of the system around that. The exception being if you have monitor resolution below 1680x1050.

In this case that would probably mean changing the processor to the i5 750, a suitable mobo, 4GB of dual channel RAM. If you still wanted to be able to crossfire you would need a PSU with 4 PCI-E connectors. The i5 750 is actually at least as good as a i7 920 in gaming and along with getting a 5850 your build would be much more powerful for gaming.

If you're going to stay with a Bloomfield build, I'd say the only thing that can be easily improved is trying to find lower latency RAM.
I know I've pretty much echoed MadAdmiral, but I couldn't be bothered to edit it.