Sign in with
Your question

Multicore Super Pi Benchmark

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2010 9:33:59 AM

I use Super Pi to compare CPU speed on different computers and overclocking.

I'm interested in locating a benchmark that would compare multicore processing, as well as CPU speed.

When doing speech recognition (Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking, version 10.1) with a noise canceling USB microphone, multicore processing is vitally important. On a single core computer (Intel 478) the latency (time delay between pronouncing speech and seeing the words displayed on the screen) is so long that the noise canceling USB microphone is unusable. The multicore LGA 1366 works fine.

I would like to be able to compare multicore processing speeds, e.g. dual core versus quad core versus processor speed. I'm thinking along the lines of a benchmark running 4 Super Pi calculations simultaneously, with the catch being that each Super Pi calculation would need to be done by a separate core. I'm way over my head in this objective.

I'm on Disability and very much dependent on speech recognition. I'm multitasking with several programs running at the same time, multiple MS Word documents open, and using a noise canceling microphone and speech recognition. If the system slows down too much, then I have to close some of the MS Word documents and make the environment quieter, turning off music.

My quad core LGA 1366 does fine. I'm interested in producing another computer(s), but I'm very much restricted on the costs for it. Thus, it would be nice to have a benchmark that compares processing speed of a multicore system. I suspect that such a benchmark is available, but I do not even know how to look for it. As stated, I'm way over my head to even find a benchmark.

I could use some help locating a benchmark that tests processing speeds in the multicore environment.

April 20, 2010 7:17:11 PM

nukemaster said:
Pifast is multi-core and will give you a general idea

http://numbers.computation.free.fr/Constants/PiProgram/...

There is also a newer app called y-cruncher - I have not used this one, but its is supposed to be insanely fast and high stress.

http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/

Wprime is another benchmark for multi core systems its not based on Pi but instead finding prime numbers.

http://www.wprime.net/

I hope this helps.

Thanks, and I will check these out. These sound like exactly what I'm looking for.

James
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 4, 2011 11:41:59 AM

pegasus-rtf said:

I'm interested in locating a benchmark that would compare multicore processing, as well as CPU speed.

When doing speech recognition (Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking, version 10.1) with a noise canceling USB microphone, multicore processing is vitally important. On a single core computer (Intel 478) the latency (time delay between pronouncing speech and seeing the words displayed on the screen) is so long that the noise canceling USB microphone is unusable. The multicore LGA 1366 works fine.

I would like to be able to compare multicore processing speeds, e.g. dual core versus quad core versus processor speed. I'm thinking along the lines of a benchmark running 4 Super Pi calculations simultaneously, with the catch being that each Super Pi calculation would need to be done by a separate core. I'm way over my head in this objective.

I'm on Disability and very much dependent on speech recognition. I'm multitasking with several programs running at the same time, multiple MS Word documents open, and using a noise canceling microphone and speech recognition. If the system slows down too much, then I have to close some of the MS Word documents and make the environment quieter, turning off music.

My quad core LGA 1366 does fine. I'm interested in producing another computer(s), but I'm very much restricted on the costs for it. Thus, it would be nice to have a benchmark that compares processing speed of a multicore system. I suspect that such a benchmark is available, but I do not even know how to look for it. As stated, I'm way over my head to even find a benchmark.

I could use some help locating a benchmark that tests processing speeds in the multicore environment.

May be multicore superpi will be intresting for you http://www.benchlab.org
July 3, 2011 8:34:44 PM

pegasus-rtf said:

Try multicore superpi or montecarlo superpi. the first test CPU and second test memory bandwith and two are multithreaded optimased www.benchlab.org
!