Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts off seconds after power on, then resumes

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2010 11:58:41 AM

Hi folks,

I am seeking advice as to what is going on with my computer and how to fix it. Every time I press the power-on button the computer starts up, all fans spin up and the computer turns off almost immediately, but then cuts back on after about 1 more second without me pressing the power button, and proceeds to boot normal, everything works fine and has worked fine for 2 years...however today I am reformatting the hard drive and installing a new OS (Win7) because the comp is getting slow and I would love to fix this problem so that I don't standby my computer every time b/c the 'start up, stop, start up' makes me fear my comp is shorting out or something. I read some posts and heard it may be the BIOS which I had to upgrade when I built the computer to adjust RAM speeds and make some other tweaks so that all the components were working as intended instead of running at slower speeds. I think I dropped a screw somewhere in the comp while building and I had already screwed almost everything into place and was too lazy to remove mobo and search for the tiny thing. Can anyone identify the cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Bennett
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2010 1:21:40 PM

We need to know what's in the computer. Without knowing anything about the actual parts, it's impossible to even begin troubleshooting.

Have you tried everything in the "Read before posting about boot problems" sticky? If not, go through every step. Come back and let us know what happend during the steps. If you have already done everything, did anything change?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2010 1:49:01 PM

This type of problem is often caused by incorrect settings in the BIOS, specifically RAM voltage and timings. The system tries to boot with values that don't work, fails, and re-tries with "safe" default values. What exact RAM kit do you have? You said you set the RAM speed in the BIOS. Did you also set the timings and voltage to the correct values?
Related resources
February 12, 2010 4:28:00 PM

Sorry for not listing the system specs guys, my morning was crazy and I had meant to add them but forgot!

MOBO: Asus Rampage Formula LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 4gb (2x2gb) 240pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500)
HD: Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM Sata 3.5"
Graphics: VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 512mb 256-bit GDDR5 PCI-e 2.0 x16
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W

Not sure if any of this helps, I'll be uploading the custom RAM timings that I googled and entered the day I built the comp...perhaps thats the error!
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2010 4:31:04 PM

If they're not from the manufacturer, it's very likely that's the problem.
February 12, 2010 5:02:37 PM

OK I would really appreciate some help with my ram timings/voltage because after looking through the bios for the first time in 2 years I am extremely confused!

In the BIOS:
FSB Frequency is set to 333
DRAM Freq. set to [DDR2-1066mhz]
(Many settings following set to [Auto]
1st information: 5-5-5-18-3-54-6-3 (this is all determined automatically at the moment except for the beginning 5-5-5-18 (CAS# (5), RAS# to CAS# Delay (5), RAS# PRE Time (5), RAS# ACT Time (18)))
2nd Information: 8-3-5-4-6-4-6
3rd Information: 14-5-1-6-6
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2010 6:03:13 PM

The most important setting is the voltage. I believe this is your RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If it is, then it's rated at 1066MHz with 5-5-5-18 timings at 2.1v - 2.2v. It looks like the speed and timings are set correctly, but you need to ensure the voltage is set to 2.2v.
February 13, 2010 4:43:12 PM

Thanks alot for your help shortstuff &MadAdmiral, somehow my computer no longer has this problem after i changed the timings from their correct ones, put them back, and changed the boot order of the pc (to install my new OS)...now it starts up as it should! the RAM voltage is set to 2.10v right now...should I bump it to 2.20v for performance?
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2010 12:46:18 PM

Increasing the RAM voltage will not increase the performance. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
February 15, 2010 2:09:19 AM

is the RAM on the QVL list at ASUS, they are picky about RAM
!