What`s the best CPU Cooler for i7-3770K 4.2GHz - 4.4GHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denus3

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hello, i`m going to build new HIGH-END Gaming PC this cristhmas. I just need a good CPU AIR Cooller for my system. I`m going to use MSI Z77 Mpower motherboard and i want to use OC GenieII to overclock my system. I want to ask for a CPU AIR Cooler that can run my system at low temps with OC GenieII?
Can the EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler handle that overclocks? Is it good for high-end pc ?

My build specs.
i7-3770K 4.2GHz - 4.4GHz
MSI GTX 680 Lightning
MSI Z77 Mpower
G.Skill Sniper 8GB 1600MHz Low Voltage
Cpu cooler ??? (probably EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler)
Corsair TX 850W
Cm Storm Trooper

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Noctua NH-D14 is a great heatsink.
Evo212 is very good for the price.
The very best is a Phanteks TC-14 if you buy a 3rd CPU Fan but becomes very expensive at 1,5º more effeccient than the Noctua.

Personnaly I'd go noctua for some serious OC.

Okay, first of all, please don't get an i7. Games don't use hyperthreading, so it's a waste of $100 that could be put towards other parts. (There's a difference of 2 fps between an i7 and an i5, and that's in games that are CPU intensive.)

Second of all, a GTX 680 is a waste - it's literally 5% better for $100 more than a 670, and when they're overclocked, they perform almost exactly the same.

You could save a lot on your power supply, but keep it if you are thinking of going SLI later.

Don't get the EVGA cooler. Go with a Hyper 212 EVO if you only want to hit 4.4GHz (My i5 hit it on a 212+, which is a lower level model. The EVO will outperform the EVGA for $20 less) If you want a HEAVY overclock, get the Noctua NH-D14.

Also, please don't use "GenieII." Software is fine for overclocking the GPU, but leave overclocking the CPU up to the BIOS.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

bf3 uses hyperthreading and a lot of people play bf3

cbrunnem

Distinguished

are you kidding right now? is that why i showing 65-75% cpus usage and bf3 multiplayer shows improvement with hyperthreading and 6 core cpus?

you get a clue

intel%20core%20i7-2600k%20cores.png

amd%20fx-8150%20cores.png

And the BIG ONE
hyper-threading.png

denus3

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

I`m going to play skyrim with enb and other graphical mods ,BF3 and upcoming g :) ames like Hitman, GTA5, Crysys3

I have to agree with him....

All 8 threads are loaded on my 2600K when I play 64multi.

I'll have to admit your ignorance too.
The image shows different CPUs benched in Multiplayer in minimum and average FPS, what does it have to do with Hyperthreading?
The game loads your 2600K threads but it doesn't benefit from it.

This is true, but you still haven't shown a benchmark in MP showing the difference between Hyperthreading on/off.
One more time for the slow, GET A CLUE.

gardoversoza

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

Thank you very much! You're the best!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

are you kidding? take a 2600k turn off hyperthreading and you essentially have a 2500k. its the same thing.

You make me laugh, that's also true. still the main question "Is there a real benefit of Hyperthreading in gaming?" and the answer is simply NO
Games are just starting to take advantage of more than 2 Cores, so how the F is it gonna take a full advantage of 4 Cores and 4 Threads?

There's almost no game out there that can take a real benefit from HTT, if there is...it will be a slight gain, unnoticeable.

Open Google and do "Hyperthreading & Gaming" and you'll find dozens of words and reviews confirming my sayings.

Better idea, Open Wiki, understand what HTT is, when it was implemented and on what, for what...then come here and do your naive argument.

A random thread here negotiating HTT & Gaming
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/320565-28-hyperthreading-gaming-difference

What differentiate the 2600K from the 2500K is HTT, that i7 was intended for media & content creation but while gaming, the 2500K was the sweet pick as it performs similarly to the 2600K.

Mate, I'm sorry for going off topic..if you wanna achieve that OC without a problem, get a liquid cooling Corsair H80.
If you wanna know why, review the "3770K Overclocking" article here on toms.

Yup, hence why I posted what I did :) 100 bucks is a lot of money that can go elsewhere. Getting an i7 instead of an i5 is like getting two 680s for a 1680 x 1050 monitor, only for bragging rights.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

This wasn't a hyperthreading and gaming thing it was a hyperthreading and bf3 thing. My point was and still is that bf3 can benefit from more then 4 cores/threads. Laugh all you want ill even tell a few jokes but bf3 Multiplayer is gpu AND cpu bound.

Thats all fine and good but HOW MUCH does it benefit from HT, is it worth the extra one hundred dollars?

Thats information that would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.