CPU Fan not spinning

Mako7

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Hi I am having an issue with the CPU fan. The computer is a brand new build. These are the specs:

Gigabyte p55a-ud4p
Intel i5 750
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus

The issue is when I first booted up the computer the Hyper 212 plus fan will spin for about a second (doesn't even complete one full revolution) and stop spinning. The rest of the computer still stays on although I turned the computer off within seconds after booting it to prevent any CPU damage. I later then connected just the fan from the Intel stock heatsink into the cpu_fan header and booted it up and the fan was spinning fine (I never had to monitor connected so I am not sure if it booted up properly >_> but I had to turn it off because I didn't want CPU damage).

I am going to try later on tonight and connect the "Hyper 212 plus" fan to a sys_fan header on the mobo to see if it works. Can anyone point me in the right direction or has anyone had a similar experience and been able to solve it.

I found a similar issue but there was no direct solution and it was more of a loop hole. Here is the link for the post Link

Thanks

Solution
I believe your motherboard varies the fan speed based on the CPU temp. If the temp stays below a certain level, the fan doesn't turn on. I would do your experiment of plugging the fan into a system fan header. It should run constantly when you do that. My Zalman cooler works well enough on my Core 2 Duo that it takes it a minute or so for the fan to start spinning when I do a cold boot.

I would go directly into the BIOS and see what the CPU temp shows up as there.

Mako7

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

Do you think its possible that the fan is not receving enough power from the header?

I believe your motherboard varies the fan speed based on the CPU temp. If the temp stays below a certain level, the fan doesn't turn on. I would do your experiment of plugging the fan into a system fan header. It should run constantly when you do that. My Zalman cooler works well enough on my Core 2 Duo that it takes it a minute or so for the fan to start spinning when I do a cold boot.

I would go directly into the BIOS and see what the CPU temp shows up as there.

Solution

Mako7

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

Thanks for the information. I will try this tonight, hopefully it works. I'll post the outcome later on tonight.

Mako7

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I connected the Hyper 212 fan to a sys_fan header and the fan worked. So I decided to connect it to the CPU_fan header and just boot up the PC. About 15 seconds in, the fan started to spin ^_^. Thanks for the help.

Mako7

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

yep ^_^ I am running prime 95 right now (its about 2 hours in). Thanks again!

G

Have been having this exact issue off and on with the Hyper 212 for over 12 months now and I've finally cracked it, it just will not spin at all now. It began by dropping RPMs then eventually dropped to zero over a period of a few months. Now I can sometimes get it to start spinning by manually giving it a spin until it starts up at which point it will spin find at about 1500 RPM but lately can't even get it to do this.

Have RMA'd it once already (a couple weeks after purchasing it) and it is still happening with the replacement. I'm using an ASUS mobo (M3A78-EH) running an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core. Have never overclocked it, just want it to run NORMALLY. I've tried enabling/disabling the Smart Q-Fan function on the mobo and changing the "Start Speed Temp" and "Full Speed Temp" when enabled but still doesn't spin. Do I need to adjust something else on the mobo?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers :)

mattferg

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Have been having this exact issue off and on with the Hyper 212 for over 12 months now and I've finally cracked it, it just will not spin at all now. It began by dropping RPMs then eventually dropped to zero over a period of a few months. Now I can sometimes get it to start spinning by manually giving it a spin until it starts up at which point it will spin find at about 1500 RPM but lately can't even get it to do this.

Have RMA'd it once already (a couple weeks after purchasing it) and it is still happening with the replacement. I'm using an ASUS mobo (M3A78-EH) running an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core. Have never overclocked it, just want it to run NORMALLY. I've tried enabling/disabling the Smart Q-Fan function on the mobo and changing the "Start Speed Temp" and "Full Speed Temp" when enabled but still doesn't spin. Do I need to adjust something else on the mobo?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers :)
I am having a similar problem as well i have an asus M4A78t-e mobo and i hooked up a zalman cnps 10x fan. The first couple of days i had no problems at all then all of a sudden i started getting the Cpu fan error message, press f1 to resume. I found out it was a wire keeping it from spinning so i moved it. This stopped it for 1 day.

Then it started getting the error again but After i hit f1 the fan would start running and my temps are all running good. So i disabled the F1 error message, but in case i do encounter some problems does anybody have any ideas why i might still be getting this error message when i do not have the error message disabled