Help is needed while buying dell

telaitis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hey folks!

I was surfing the net for some info about dell studio15, because i want to buy one, and i noticed that this is the place where i can ask for help.

So i am planning to buy dell studio 15. 500gb, 15.6 inch, ATI™ Mobility Radeon™ HD4570,4096 mb ram. But the biggest problem is which processor? dual core 2 duo? Core™ i7 720QM ?Core™ i5 430M? which of them is better? which performs faster.

Things i'm planning to do are realy simple and nothing special - a little bit of gaming( some lame action or adventure games) , movies, photoshop, for douments ( writing etc.) , music...

So , what should i do? which processor shoul i buy?

Thank in andvance.. A Lot.

Well, the Core i7 720QM would perform the fastest out of all of them, but the i5 430M seems to be enough. The only two things I can see in your list of things that you do which would require any CPU horsepower would be either gaming or Photoshop. With gaming, you'd probably only going to use one or two cores, and Intel's Turbo Boost pushes the 720QM to 2.8GHz on one core, I'm not sure for two. Photoshop would also run faster with the two extra cores - the i5 430M is only a dual core. However, if you're doing light video editing, and aren't playing any major games, and also need a decent battery life, then it would be better to get the i5 430M - the Core 2 Duo is old, lol.

telaitis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
But also, only now i realized that there are Core i7 with 1.6ghz and with 2.8ghz... Is it a big difference while choosing between these two? i ask this because i don't understand how core i7 works really...

( i mean that if i'd buy core i7 with 1.6 ghz wouldn't core i5 430M be faster? or maybe even dual core 2 duo which has 2.2ghz would be faster... ?

I know i sound dumb, but i talking just while looking into numbers. )

Well, Let me help you shed some light on the core i7 720QM turbo.

For when 3 and 4 cores are needed at there peak, Turbo will increase the speed from 1.6Ghz to 1.7GHz range.

When only 2 core are needed, The speed can go up to 2.4 GHz.

1 core goes up to 2.8 GHz.

So actually, The core i7 720QM is the fastest between all the cpu's your looking at.

Now if your looking into battery life, you may want to look at the core i5. If you wantting a long lasting computer, core i7 way to go.