Hp desktop wont recognize large hard drive

krwyat

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hello,
Have a HP a523x I'm working on. I worked on it once before a few years back and put a 400 GB HDD in it, had an 80 GB OEM. I am puttin a 500 GB for the guy now however, I can't remember what I did to get it to recognize the drive the first time. It works fine with a 150 GB SATA laptop drive I loaded it with XP and it tested all good. But with the 500 GB SATA it won't show in the BIOS. Which is the latest version although ancient. Any ideas? Need to get this done. Thank you.

If not recognized in BIOS it is not seeing the drive installed, connections bad drive or incompatibility. Check if the drive has a switch or a jumper to force it to work in SATA 150 mode which is what I believe you are dealing with unless the drive is broken.

krwyat

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
So my guess is Rolli59 may be onto something with the SATA 150 mode. Sorry I forgot to mention I know the 500GB HDD is good because I had it running in another computer and I just cloned another drive to it. The connections are also good because I tried two different smaller drives on the same connection and they both were recognized. I got impatient and had to get the computer back to the guy, so I through a motherboard I had laying around in it, loaded it up and all is good. I think I may put the old MB back together and try a couple drives and the 150 SATA idea. If I get time to do that I'll post.